ONE

"Fuck the study group"

or

"Competitive Ecology"

▸ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ◂

▸ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ◂

     Julie French wasn't what you'd call academically inclined. It was a fact that embarrassed her because almost all her friends in high-school were straight A student's. Although going to Greendale Community College wasn't her plan it (in a sort of strange unbelievable way) had actually increased her love for school. Maybe it was just how weird everyone was there or that the classes were so easy she could get an A in her sleep, but she liked it.

     All good things have there disadvantages, and for Greendale it was that damned study group. Ever since her first day at Greendale, almost one year ago, she noticed that they thought the school revolved around their own lives. Good for them- she had thought many times, but oh god did she find it annoying.

     Which is why this year she had stalked them to make sure she made the perfect schedule to avoid them. But just her luck she had to have Biology with the group.

     She sat down watching Professor Kane go on and on about Lego's after announcing they had terrariums due tomorrow, which she was majorly dreading. Not only did she have to be in a class with the Study Group but she also got the one teacher at Greendale who actually cared about teaching. "Your terrariums are due tomorrow. And everyone look across the table at the person in front of you. That's your lab partner for the rest of the semester. Saddle up." Professor Kane told the class.

     Unluckily for Julie, she was sitting across from the half-Palestinian half-Polish guy from the Study group that she saw get electrocuted last year around Christmas. At least if she had to be partnered up with someone from The Study Group she was glad it wasn't Pierce.

     All of the partners had started talking amongst themselves except the study group who had went up to Professor Kane's office. Julie looked to the guy next to her with a smile. "I have a feeling they're gonna convince Kane to change partners, so you wanna work together when that happens?" She asked, receiving a simple nod in response.

     "I may have a developmental disorder." Abed said as soon has he got back to the table.

Julie stared at him for a few seconds, what a weird thing to tell someone so they wouldn't be your partner. "You could just say that you want to be partnered up with your boyfriend instead."

     "Troy's not my boyfriend."

     "How'd you know I was talking about Troy?" She asked, receiving a long silence in response. Julie turned to the guy next to her and the two of them left the room to start the project.

🎕

     The next day in class Julie held her terrarium as she noticed that Todd was missing and no one in the study group (besides Annie) had brought in their projects. A smile grew across her face as she realized the study group would be getting F's. The room erupted into applause at Magnitude who had said his signature phrase.

     "Nice work, you two. You know they're laughing at you, right? I mean, that's my theory." Julie quirked her brow at the theory, as all of Greendale loved the one man party. As Vicky and Magnitude went back to their seats Professor Kane loomed over to the study group. "Now, super group. I can't help but notice a sorry lack of terrariums."

     The class was not paying close attention to the conversation but Julie and the others who would've been paired with the group paid attention to the tail end. "Professor, obviously this isn't working out. You're just gonna have to put us with our original lab partners. All right? " Jeff suggested and Julie almost screamed in protest, as much as Abed was one of the only study group members she could tolerate (mainly because of his stint as Jesus the previous year) she still hated the study group and Abed was one of its members.

     "I don't have to do anything. Not after you broke my boy Todd. That man called me crying this morning. You know he fought in Iraq, right? We had a name for people like you in prison. We called you 'the mean clique.'" Finally a teacher here putting the group in their place, she thought with a smirk. "But I have a solution. All seven of you will share a microscope, one bench, and one grade that I will average. Everyone else gets their own stuff."

     She could see Annie leaning forward in anticipation, "So can we get an extension on the first assignment?"

     "No. You all fail." He said causing Annie to faint.

🎕

     Julie French had sadly missed the previous day of class, it was out of her control. So when the next class period rolled around she noticed that her old partner was partnered with Todd, and that there were no more spare lab equipment or partners.

     "Professor Kane, there's no more lab equipment, or people to partner with for that matter." She stated to him, only to hear a small mumbling in response. He probably said something but she wasn't paying attention.

     His next seven words were the stuff of horror films and nightmare's, "You have to join the super group." Julie screamed, like legitimately, like she saw a dead body. "You have weird reactions to things."

      "Please don't put me with those people, they're annoying. I mean yeah they helped save the school by winning paintball against that weird bald ice cream cone but they're the worst." She begged.

     Professor Kane looked at the girl like she was speaking a foreign language, because what the fuck was any of that supposed to mean to someone who didn't even understand what happened to legos. "I'll give you a ten percent boost on every group project." He offered, as he didn't want to spend his minimal pay check to buy more supplies for the class.

     Julie sighed out a grumpy, "Fine."

▸ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ◂

thank you for reading this chapter!

I wasn't gonna publish this until February 6th but I was too excited not to update it now