Dinner at Denny's

Hours passed and the food that Scott has made for dinner couldn't have been more poorly done. That alone, plus the fact that he was fighting to put out the burning turkey with a fire extinguisher was a sign to the kids that they weren't going to eat good tonight.

"That is exactly why you want a high-quality fire extinguisher right in the kitchen," Scott told his kids, once he managed to put the flames out.

"Those flames were really big, Dad." Charlie told him.

"Yeah, turkey's funny that way," Scott said. Suddenly the turkey caught up in flames again.

"Dad!" Selene yelled, pointing at the turkey. Scott turned around and blew the extinguisher onto the turkey to put it out again. "It's done!"

Selene sighs. "Dad, I love you, but we need an alternative for dinner".

*Later*

Scott took Charlie and Selene in his car and drove around town to find them someplace to eat. "You kids like Osso Buco?" he asked, stopping in front of a restaurant that had no one inside. "They're closed." He said disappointed before he drove off to find someplace else.

"You know, Neil's a real good cook," Charlie said from the backseat.

"Yeah, and you should see him walk on water," Scott said, in an annoyed tone.

"You don't like him very much, do you, Dad?" Charlie asked.

"Charlie, he was joking. Right, dad?" Selene tries to cover for her dad.

"She's right. I'm sorry. I was just kiddin' around. I like him a lo... Yeah, sure, I like him. You know, there... There's just something about him that makes me wanna...."

"Lash out irrationally?" Charlie asked suddenly.

"Where did you hear that?" Selene asked.

"From Neil. I learn a lot from him. He listens to me." Charlie answered.

"Yeah. Then he charges ya for it". Scott and Selene say at the same time.

Charlie sighs at their response and Selene slumps back in her seat, feeling a bit bad. She doesn't mean to upset Charlie. They've been close for years, but since the divorce, it's been getting harder and harder to stay that way.

Eventually, Scott drove into a Denny's parking lot, with a grin. "All right. Denny's. It's always open." He said, turning off the car and unbuckling his seatbelt to get out.

"Seriously?" Selene asked Scott before sighing and giving in. "You know what? It's better than nothing. Come on, Charlie".

"I don't wanna eat here," Charlie said.

"What are you talkin' about? Everybody likes Denny's! It's an American institution." Scott clarifies.

The trio enters the restaurant as a waitress walks over to them. "Are you with Hatsutashi?" she asked.

"No!" Scott answered quickly.

"Dad burnt the turkey," Charlie told her.

"Oh, yeah. This way. Come on." The waitress said, in an unsurprising tone.

They were following her over toward the back of the restaurant until Selene heard a voice call out to her.

"Hey, Silver the Snowflake!"

She stopped and turned to her side to see her best friend, Willa, walk up to her. The two girls hugged before pulling away, to which Selene noticed that Willa was dressed up in a pretty white and blue dress but her face had messed up makeup.