Chapter 21 - in which there is one betrayal and one, no, two rescues

August 1899
The Circulation Gate, Manhattan, New York City
Davey's P.O.V.

The sun is burning down at us.
It's so hot. We're standing there in front of the circulation gate, densely packed, waiting for what's going to happen.
We swore we'd continue the strike. For Jacks' sake, for Mags' sake, for the sake of the Newsies.
"Tell my I's jus' seein' things, jus' tell me I's seein' things.", I suddenly hear Spot yell. I follow his glare.
"No.", Race answers excited. "Dat's Jack!"
He's right.
There's Jack.
Standing with the scabs in a nice, clean suit. I can't believe my eyes.
It can't be.
It just can't.
It mustn't.
I freeze.
"Hey Jack!", Mush shouts. "It's me, Mush! Look at me!"
Jack doesn't.
"Wanna talk ta him?", Weasel asks me, who's all of the sudden stands in front of me. "Come an' talk ta him."
I step past the bulls and towards Jack.
It feels so unreal.
Like a dream. I very, very bad dream. A nightmare.
We walk a bit to the side to talk.
"So, that's why you didn't run.", I say, pointing at his suit.
"What if?", he says emotionless.
"You're a liar!", I almost shout. "You lied about everything. You lied about your father being out west, because he's not out west! You didn't even tell me your real name!"
"So?" Jack just shrugs, his eyes emotionless, too. "What ya wanna do about it, Dave?"
"I don't understand you.", I say desperate.
"Oh, so let me spell it out foa ya. You see, I ain't got nobody tuckin' me in at night, like ya. It's jus' me, I gotta look out foa myself, all right?"
"You have the Newsies! And Magpie!"
"Oh, what'd bein' a Newsie ever give me but a dime a day and a few black eyes? Ya know, I can't afford to be a kid no more, Dave. Foa the first time in my life, I got money in my pockets. Real money. Money, ya understand? I got more on the way and as soon as I collect, I's gone, I's away, all right?"
"Well, that's good!" I feel like I could explode every minute now. "That's good because we don't need you! We don't need you! All those words you said, those were mine."
"Yeah, but ya never had the guts to put them across yourself, did ya?"
"I do now." I already turn away, as I remember something. I look at him again. "Where is she?"
"Who?", he asks stupidly.
"Don't play stupid. I mean Mags. Where is she."
For a second it seems like I see something in his eyes. Then it's gone again and he shrugs.
"Still inside."
"Sold her too?"
Jack doesn't answer to that.
I shake my head and turn away.
Then I turn back, wanting to hit him.
Hard.
But sadly, Weasel stops me.
Some cops lead Jack through the crowd of angry newsies.
They're really mad at him. Calling him names, threatening him.
Les, being the adorable kid he is, tries to defend Jack.
"He's just fooling.", he calls. "So, he can spy on them or something."
Race pitying him, smiles down at him and says: "Sure, kid. He's foolin'. Jus' foolin'."
But I don't care. For neither of them.
Still in disbelieve I turn away.
My thoughts begin to wander and so does my body.
Aimlessly I walk through the busy streets of Manhattan, not sure what to do anymore.
After about an hour I decide to visit my sister, who's still working as a laundress.
She'll know what to do.
Sarah's smart.

As I turn into the street, I hear it.
It's Sarah. She's screaming!
I walk faster, soon run and as I reach her, I see her being harassed by the Delancey brothers.
Being the good big brother that I am, I go and try to help her. But... I'm not a really good fighter.
I'm really trying.
But they're two and they have much more experience and... brass knuckles.
So, it doesn't take long until they have me laying bruised and beaten on the ground.
Morris already launches again, when suddenly someone shoves Morris off of me.
I look up to see...
Jack.
He's smiling his wide Jack-smile and beats the brothers up. Then he helps up Sarah, giving the gentleman.
"Why did you come back?", I ask, still angry and not really believing, he's back.
"Well,", he shortly hesitates. "I guess I can't be somethin' I ain't."
"What? A scab?"
"No,", he slightly smirks. "Smart."
"Really, Jack? Really?"
He nervously chuckles. "Listen, I's sorry, but I have a... quite good... ok plan? An' I need ya help."
"Excuse me? Now? After..." I sigh. "I'm glad you're back. What's your plan?"