Chapter 5: Can't You Just Let Me Live?

Bailey

I looked up at my parents. "Hello?" I said. "You have some explaining to do young lady," My dad said. "What do you mean?" I asked, not sure what he meant. "This," He said, gesturing to my outfit. Crap on a stick. "Uhhhhh," I said. My mother's mouth had to have hit the floor. "Look at her arm," She whispered. My father swore. My mom stared at me. "They did it, didn't they?" She asked. "Did what?" "Changed you," She said simply. I hesitated for a moment, and then nodded. "Well, get that thing out of my house," Dad ordered mom. Did he mean me? "Sweetie, she's our daughter. Give me a minute to get it all in order," My mom said. "Go to your room, and pack. Just pack everything you would ever need," My dad told me. I walked upstairs, not wanting to upset my parents. I felt my tears run down my cheeks while I put everything I owned into suitcases. It only took me half an hour. I layed down on my bed, tears all over my face at this point. Why me? Why? Why can't I just have a normal life? I fell asleep with those thoughts in my mind.

I walked downstairs, wearing a green crop top and jean shorts. I really didn't care what my parents thought anymore. As I bit into a croissant, My dad cleared his throat. "The neighborhood, including us, believes that you and your kind should be sent away," He said. "Sent where?" I asked him. "There is a school in Ohio that teaches werewolves. We think you and all of your kind in this neighborhood should be sent there." "Ohio? But that's all the way across the country!" "There is no other choice. You're proving that you can't be kept in a human town." I looked at my mother, praying she would come to my side. "You're going, and we're leaving today," She said firmly. I felt tears rise to my eyes. "Fine," I said, and stabbed my fork into the wooden table. It got stuck there. "Enjoy your little life. I hope you learn that the day you let me out of this household, is the day you set me free from this hellhole of a home," I said, and ran upstairs to get my suitcases.

We were almost there. The ride was a silent event, considering how I really did not want to talk to my parents. I caught my first glimpse of the school while I was flipping through the first book in the Harry Potter series. Trees were everywhere. I had never wanted to jump out of the car so much. After around thirty minutes of tourchure, we pulled into a gravel parking lot. There were six buildings, forming a circle. There was a gate that had a metal sign above it that read: Moonlight, a school for werewolves. I grabbed my suitcases out of the trunk, and started up to the buildings. A woman was waiting outside. "Welcome, or welcome back to Moonlight. How may I help you?" She asked. "I need to find where I'm supposed to go. Name's Bailey Cave." She flipped through a sheet of papers. "Ahhh, here we go. You're supposed to go to building 4, the girls' dorms. Please be down to building 1 at 6:00pm. for dinner," She said, and handed me a timetable. "Classes start tomorrow at 9:00 am. Have a good day," She said, smiling. I returned her smile, and went inside the grounds as my parents car pulled away. Slimey gits, I thought. I walked up the lawn and to building 4. I noticed, with unease, the amount of looks I was getting. I walked through the open doors, and into the building. For a second, I thought I was still outside. Everything was glass, and the walls that weren't were painted green and covered in vines. I looked at the paper again, and walked up the hallways, trying to find my dorm. Finally, at the end of the hall, I found it. It faced the forest, and almost all the walls were glass. There were two doors to my right. One led into my roommates dorm, the other one into our shared bedroom. I started unpacking. Once I had finished, I went into the bathroom to put my makeup in the cupboard, and found Kate inside. "Thank goodness you're my roommate, and not some snob," I said. "I'm happy too," She said while smiling.

I walked down the lawn to find myself in the larges building yet. Inside, I found a buffet-style cafeteria, with tables for days. I noticed that quite a few people had already sat down and were eating. Quickly, I grabbed a plate and dashed to the back of the line. When it was my turn, I grabbed a burger an some fruit. I sat down at an empty table, and was joined by Kate, Blake, Jake, Colton, and River quite fast. I stuffed fruit into my mouth, while River argued with Jake on weather there was a football team. Blake stared at me. "Could you please stop?" I asked him sharply. "Stop what?" He asked, not taking his eyes off of me. "Stop looking like everything's normal. Like this just happens every day. Well newsflash for you, it doesn't to me. I wish I had told you no on that night when you asked if you could kiss me, because now we wouldn't be in this mess. I may not have control over a lot right now, but I do have my control in our relationship. And I have three words for you: We are over. So go find someone else's life to ruin. Bye," I said, and left the table. "Bailey, wait," He said desperately. "Screw it Blake. Go find someone who you actually like. Someone who can deal with chaos." I threw my plate onto the ever-growing dirty dish pile, and walked out. On my way out, I ran into a boy  arguing  with a pretty blonde. "I told you, I do not want you! Go mess up someone else!" He said, and walked into me. We both fell. "Oof!" I said as I hit the stone. Real smooth Bailey. "Sorry," We said at the same time, causing us to break out in laughter. We got up, and he held out his hand. "Name's Kayden," He said, smiling. "Bailey. Nice to meet you," I said, and shook his hand. As I walked back to my dorm, I heard Kayden's friends talking to him. "How did you run into that angel of a girl in her first 24 hours of being here?" "I really don't know, but she probably already has a boyfriend with those looks and attitude," Kayden said, making me blush. I walked back to my dorm, smiling as I went.

I woke up to the sound of my phone's alarm going off. I groaned, and rubbed my eyes. Stretching, I got up. I knocked on the bathroom door to make sure Kate wasn't inside. When no one answered, I went inside. I put on a black crop-top and jean shorts that had fishnet leggings attached to them. I put on black eye shadow, black mascara, and black eyeliner. I put on some light pink lipstick, and my black combat boots. I checked the time on my phone. It was almost 8 am. If I hurried, I could make it to breakfast on time. Dashing down the stairs, I met up with my friends in the grounds. "Took you Long enough," Colton mumbled. I playfully punched his shoulder. "Had something to drink last night, did we?" I said in mock seriousness. "Shut up Professor Umbridge." I chuckled, and we walked into the cafeteria. I noticed that one boy -Kayden- was staring at me. I looked him in the eyes, and he looked at the table, blushing. "Who was that?" Kate asked me while we sat down. "Oh, just a boy I ran into," I told her. "Bailey's got a boyfriend!" Colton said. I felt my cheeks go red. "Thanks a lot, Colton," I said. "You moved on fast," Blake said. "Well, life goes on. Maybe you should learn that." "Maybe I didn't. It has been under 24 hours since we broke up," He said, making puppy eyes. "Well then cry me a river, build me a bridge, and GET OVER IT," I told him, emphasizing the last few words. He looked like I had just slapped him. "If I hadn't told you yes all those nights ago, we wouldn't be in this mess. Just forget that 'we' ever happened." I got up, and headed to my first class, History of Werewolves. As I walked into the classroom, I noticed that there was about one half of the girls than there was boys. I plopped down at a desk in the back, Kate on my left. A girl with violet-colored hair and a tan complection walked over to me. "Is this seat taken?" She asked me. I shook my head, and she sat down next to me. "Names' Rose," She said. "Bailey," I said, and smiled. "Do you know why the first two years of highschool are learning together? My old school was the same way, but I would've thought more people came here." "A bunch of werewolves would rather run free than learn to control themselves, or just try and lead a normal life. It fails pretty quickly," She said sadly. Just then our teacher walked in. I was guessing her name was Mrs. Brooke because it was written on the white board. "Good morning students, sorry I was late. That old bat of a P. E. teacher cannot make coffee to save his life," She said, exasperated. "Its fine," We all said. "As you know, we will be studying about the Great Alpha this semester. Oh, don't look at me like that, whoever it is could be the one to lead us to being viewed as humans. And, it's also an important part of werewolves' stories," She said. "Does anyone know what was said about the Great Alpha?" One girl raised her hand. "Yes Makenzie." "It was said that he or she was not originally a werewolf, but was changed by someone who would lead them to their real mate. This person was said to have been a nobody, but rose to being powerful and in control. They would be the one to help us rise to freedom," She finished, repeating Mrs. Brooke. "Very good, Makenzie. Anyone else?" She asked. When no one raised their hand, she started writing down page numbers. "Please have these read by tomorrow," She said while passing out textbooks. I took mine, and started reading. When the bell rang, I grabbed my bag and left the classroom. As I pulled out my schedule, Makenzie came up behind me. "Hello," She said in a sickly sweet voice. "Hi," I said, not looking up from my paper. "Let's get something straight, new girl, I'm in charge and what I say goes." Her voice had changed from it's sickly sweet to a voice that belonged to someone very mad. "Well, I got new for you Makenzie. I will do what I want, when I want, and how I want. Nobody controls me. Got it?" I asked her, and walked away, leaving her speechless. I walked down the hallway to where Rose and Kate were waiting for me. "What?" I asked. Rose's jaw might as well have been on the floor. "No one has ever stood up to Makenzie. And I mean no one," She said, shutting her mouth finally.