Chapter 18: Betrayal

"No!"

     I couldn't remember who said it. I couldn't remember anything as the world went numb around me. The rest of my group became blurry spots in the corner of my vision. All I could see, sense, feel was one figure, one girl, my baby sister.

     Ver.

     She smirked, pulling back her hood to reveal her painstakingly familiar face. She was covered in deep scratches and scars, and her eyes were not at all happy to see us. They looked cold enough to murder.

     "Wait, there's a fulfiller to the prophecy and you never told us?" Aureole's sharp voice broke through the fog as she reeled on my parents. "You told us we couldn't know the prophecy because it couldn't get into enemy hands!"

     "How do you have that power?" Mother repeated, steeling herself and ignoring the flaming fire elemental.

     Ver half-grinned. "It's almost funny how much you lie. It's like a programmed respons—"

     "THE POWER DIED WITH HIM!" Mother started shaking uncontrollably. "He's dead; there's no way he could have given it to you." We all watched in a numb sort of shock as she picked up her knife and held it towards her rebellious daughter. "I watched him die. I went to his f-funeral. He's d-d-dead."

     Father stepped in to intervene before Mother could collapse. "Ver, please, just come to the ground and let's talk this out like adults."

     "Don't 'Ver' me. I have no interest in hearing what you have to say," Ver frowned from her position, taking in everyone around her. Carmen had gotten to her feet and was joining the circle once again. "I came for the key, and the key I will get. Where is it?"

     "We have no interest in your chitter-chatter, Miss Boring!" Carmen shouted, hurling a rock at Ver. It bounced off the winds holding her up, but it still caught her attention. "Get lost before we make you!"

     Ver narrowed her eyes. Her fists tightened, the wind stirred, and Aureole let out a screech of attack. She ran straight for my sister, aiming her fire at her heart. Before I could take in what had just happened, Ver was simultaneously flicking away all of Aureole's intense flames as well as dodging the ground attacks from Storm and Carmen.

     Morro was just standing there, like I was, trembling on his feet.

     My sister, my sweet sister who used to love gingerbread, bike riding, and puzzles, was literally attacking our friends.

     As much as the heroic side of me wanted to intervene, nothing could make my feet move. Ver, the girl who I grieved over, the girl who I was willing to go on this mission for, the girl who I was ready to risk everything to save, had betrayed us. She was attacking us to steal what we'd worked towards.