Chapter 29: Dead to Me

I remember when I was younger, Father would take me to the nearest forest to practice running through the trees. He'd set up sound detectors that would let off a loud noise if they heard anything over a certain volume level. Then, he'd have me run through the forest on a timer. I was supposed to reach each checkpoint in thirty seconds without setting of the detectors.

     Over time it became easier to watch my feet as well as the trees. I'd learn which objects on the forest floor would produce less sound if stepped on. Often the noise detectors would go off because I'd slam into a tree, but over time I learned to navigate around those as well. Running quietly through dense trees required full use of one's peripheral vision.

      I was reminded of those times as Aureole, Kai, and I bolted through the thick foliage, trying to stay out of the way of the Vermillion squadron heading in the direction of the fire. We hadn't seen a ton of warriors through the trees, but I assumed that was because we went out of our way to avoid them.

      "I'd say we have about fifteen more minutes before we reach the camp," Kai said, his voice strained from the exercise.

      Storm didn't respond (his eyes were squeezed shut and his face was pale), while Aureole merely nodded. She reached out to pat her helpless cousin's arm. Meanwhile, the light rain above us continued to sprinkle.

      After another minute we were forced to slow down. Kai was too tired to run with Storm on his back any further, and Storm needed help walking due to his exhaustion. Aureole's face was tense as she lobbed her cousin forward. Off in the distance, the faint sound of hisses and swords clashing could be heard.

     "Did anyone..." I heaved for breath, "did anyone see the Overlord?"

     Aurie shook her head. Kai wouldn't meet my eyes.

     "He must still be at the camp," I said.

     "We've been preparing him his whole life. He'll be fine." Kai responded vaguely. His brown eyes were glassy while he huffed for breath with the rest of us. Kai never mentioned who he thought 'he' was. At this point, I would have said Morro was the in the best mental condition to take on fighting the Overlord, but then the whole Nori ordeal really set him back. I had no idea if Shade was mentally ready for the fight either.

     But be warned, to defeat the darkness you must have three things:

     A key, a sacrifice, and a voice that sings.

     Then the tides shall turn in favor of the light,

      And purge this world of its eternal night.

      We had the three things. We had the son of Oni and Light. That meant we had to emerge victorious.

      Suddenly, a loud explosion banged in the distance, and smoke drifted up through the rain. And after the explosion, a loud set of horns bellowed through the air. Kai stumbled up from his stooped position and tried to peer through the trees.