PART 3 ~

finally tanjiro turns to you, "oh.. uh.. y/-" he starts "uh- y/n! when did you get here?" he asks you look down 'he couldn't even remember my name..' his gaze turns to your muzzle.

"oh, you're a demon too.." he trails off before turning his attention back to nezuko and smiling softly at her.

you bit your muzzle a little harder, as another piece of your heart shattered.

--------------------------------------------------------

3RD POV

as you and nezuko stand beside each other, tanjiro buries the body of your deceased family.

you look at their bodies sadly as their lowered into their freshly dug graves. you watch as tanjiro kneels down sadly to give them a final prayer before departure, you follow suit and kneel next to him, clasping your hands together.

'dear kami-sama, please let my family live happy and safe in heaven with luxurious housing and wonderful food. please let them fill their bellies to their hearts content and not have to worry about money anymore. please let them live in a nice house where they don't all have to share the same room, and please, let them see otou-san' you pray.

you get up and stand beside nezuko again as tanjiro continues to pray for a little while longer. "nezuko" he calls and nezuko walks over to him, he grabs her hand and they start their journey to mt. sagiri.

you quickly follow behind after wiping the snow off your knees.

soon, you arrive at a small cave, just barely big enough for you and nezuko, "nezuko, go inside the hole okay? i'm going to get you a basket." tanjiro says and nezuko obliges, scurrying in the small hole.

you wait for tanjiro to leave and also scurry into the hole, occupying the left corner. you watch in curiosity as nezuko digs a medium-sized hole, just big enough for her 12-year old body, you guess it was to hide from the sun, because only a few minutes after, the sun starts to rise, an orangey-yellow colour seeping into your small cave making nezuko shuffle further into her hole.

you hiss slightly and quickly scoot back as a small bit of sunlight hits your hand, a burning feeling right where it hit.

you frown and rub your hand in pain, though luckily the wound healed quick enough. you wonder how your wounds heal so quickly, from what you know demons eat humans to get stronger, therefore to heal faster. so you didn't know why even though you've never eaten a human, you healed quicker than normal.

you sit there for around 20 minutes before tanjiro finally comes back, carrying a basket and some bamboo.

he crawls slightly into the hole and peers around "nezuko?" he calls, making nezukos small head peek out of her hidey-hole, prominent frown on her face, also making tanjiro frown.

'she must really hate the sun. my kid sister's turned into a mole' he thinks.

"just hold on a little more, okay, nezuko?" he reassures and exits the whole, wasting no time to start making the basket, weaving the bamboo into the open holes, giving it some more coverage.

after about half an hour or so, he smiles at his finished work.

he crawls back into the cave and places the basket in front of the hole "nezuko? can you get in this basket?" he asks and she just sits there.

"bas-ket" he sounds out, like he's trying to get her to understand, while patting the basket. she seems to get the idea and slightly pushes herself out of the hole, her front half going into the basket, with the back half hanging out.

tanjiro sweat-drops before smiling softly. an idea came to his head, "hey, nezuko? you know how you got big like an adult earlier? do you think you can get smaller?" he asks, "smaller, nezuko. smaller!" he encourages.

nezuko grabs onto the edge of the basket and leaps up, sending the basket and herself forward. she plunges into the basket head-first, rising back soon after.

her smaller head peeks through the top of the basket making tanjiro practically shine "good girl, nezuko!" he pats her head.

finally he looks at you again, "oh, uh. they only had one basket. you'll just need to walk in the shade" he says and before you can even reply with a nod, he's left the cave with a blanket over nezuko's basket and it sitting uncomfortably on his back.

you frown slightly beneath your muzzle before slowly crawling to the end of the shade, turning your head left and right to look for any shadows.

you see some shade in the direction tanjiro is heading, about a meter from the cave. you bite the inside of your cheek softly (can you do that with the muzzle? idk) and close your eyes, taking a deep breath, even though demons don't actually breath, it's kind of just to help with the stress of it.

you open your eyes and as quick as you can, leap over to the shadow, unfortunately not missing the large rays of sun that shone down.

you hiss in pain again as some small tears left your eyes, your burn wounds quickly healing.

you look ahead of the track and see tanjiro a bit ahead of you, lucky for you he's walking in an area mostly with trees on the sides.

as tanjiro walks, you hide in the trees, close enough not to get lost, but far enough to not hit the sun much.

not long after, you'd reached a small hut with a woman and child out the front. you see tanjiro talking to the woman, though you don't pay attention to the words, guessing he's just asking for directions.

you look down near the woman's feet and see the small child looking at you with interest gleaming in his eyes, that made your heart warm up a little, and a tiny crack of your heart healed over.

you gave him a closed eye smile and small wave, making his cheeks turn slightly pink as he runs off again to go play.

you smile softly beneath your muzzle.

when you turn your attention back to tanjiro, you notice he'd already taken off, without wasting any time you quickly rush off .

it was late afternoon, and finally dark out. nezuko was out of her basket and you were walking a bit behind tanjiro.

up ahead, you could see a temple, with a dim light shining. as you walked a few steps closer, the smell of iron hit your now overly sensitive nose, drool already coming out of your muzzle, making you grimace slightly 'that's kinda gross' you think as you wipe your drool.

after another few steps, tanjiro seemed to notice the scent as well, he gasped and grabbed nezuko's hand "c'mon nezuko! someone could be hurt!" he yells as he and nezuko run up to the temple, you following shortly behind.

he runs up to the temple door, "excuse me! are you hur--" he yells as he slams it open, only to reveal a horrific sight.

an ugly demon devouring a small family, as you and nezuko stood beside tanjiro, nezuko's drool dripped to the floor, her eyes shaking slightly, obviously trying to restrain herself.

your nose crunched up in disgust, yet your stomach grumbled in hunger, the former luckily overriding the latter.