Chapter 21

After Vi had finished in the shower, she turned off the valve and grabbed the towel she had slung over the side of the cubicle, wrapping it around herself before grabbing her clothes and stepping out. As she stepped out, the cold air in the bathroom hit her damp skin and tried not to shiver, rushing to get dried and dressed. After noticing Dina was nowhere to be seen, Vi looked around, baffled. Until she heard humming coming from one of the cubicles, it sounded heavenly as it fell on Vi's ears.

As she moved over to inspect the source of the sound, she saw Dina's head just barely above the shower curtain, enjoying the hot water as lost herself in her humming. She seemed happy. Vi felt an involuntary smile play on her lips, and she shook her head before walking back to the other side of the room, giving Dina some privacy. As she waited by the door, she heard some inmates talking in a hushed manner nearby.
"Apparently Sevika got out"m
A female voice discussed with a man.
"When?"
"Yesterday, apparently her boss paid good money too"
"Why was she even in here then?"
"She got caught on some sort of smuggling job, put up a real right too. She had some major time"
"But it's not like that time matters now, it just got bought away from her"
Vi felt her blood boil, Sevika's boss? Since when did she work for someone?

Vi wasn't up to date with what went on outside of the prison, and now she wouldn't know where Sevika went, a shame really. She was really looking forward to getting her back after having her jumped by three morons. Vi let her head fall back against the wall she was leaned against, she was undeniably in a lot of pain as she gritted her teeth, clutching her rib. But after hearing Dina's shower turn off, she pushed the pain to the back of her mind, straightening her back as she walked over to the sinks.

As she turned the corner, she saw Dina wrapped in her towel. Her hair was damp as she stood in front of the mirror, digging through her toiletry bag.
"That's one hell of a scar"
Vi said, startling Dina as she walked over to her, standing behind her to get a good look at what looked like a severe burn scar on her shoulder.
"Yeah... I've had it since I was younger"
Dina said, feeling slightly uneasy that Vi had noticed this flaw on her body
"How did it happen?"
Vi asked as she ran her hand softly over the bare skin of Dina's shoulder.
"There was an explosion, I was about twelve. Because it was a gas explosion, it was followed by flames, a lot of them. My mum and I lived alone, apparently my dad died after getting sick from the gasses in the fissures, which is common..."
Dina explained, Vi simply nodded, not interrupting but showing her that she understood, even if she already know about the common death cause in the Undercity.
"I don't know what caused the explosion, it still confuses me to this day. All I remember is the smell of the gas filling the room we were in, and my mum tried to get us out. She smashed the nearest window to get some air in, but it wasn't big enough for her to fit through, nor let the gas out in time. As I was climbing out to go get help, the explosion went off, blowing me through the wall and making me catch fire"
Dina continued, tears filling her eyes as she looked down.

She shifted her weight from one foot to another, which was something she did when she was stressed or anxious.
"She didn't even scream, it was like the explosion was so powerful that it killed her at impact. I should be thankful it happened that way for her. She didn't need to know the feeling of her flesh melting the way I did. It hurt so much. No one came to our aid and I had to take care of myself, even from that age. I haven't had anyone looking out for me since she died, it's always just been me"

Vi was speechless, she began feeling sick as she heard Dina's story, and finally, she had gotten an understanding she never would have thought of before. Dina was alone too, she too didn't know the feeling of someone comforting her, having someone to watch her back. The only difference, Dina had been alone much longer than Vi, and she couldn't imagine how that must have felt. It was hard for Vi for the past five years, but Dina had lived this life for around double that time.

When Dina turned to face her, wiping the tears that threatened to spill. Vi hugged her without warning, she held her in a tight embrace. Dina simply relaxed, letting her body go limp as she cried, no longer fighting the pain that had built up over the years.
"I've got you now, Dee"
She assured Dina, the two slowly collapsed to the floor as Dina lost the strength to stand. Vi never let go as she let Dina soak her shirt with her tears as she let out muffled cries into her chest. Vi could feel a tear fall down her cheek, this wasn't a situation she was used to, and she hated seeing Dina in so much pain. She couldn't cry, not right now, Dina needed her. Vi sniffled and wiped her cheek on her own shoulder as she composed herself. Thank god no one uses the bathroom first thing on a morning in Stillwater.