Chapter 8: The Promise

It has been two weeks since Steve came to Massachusetts and he was feeling happier than he could remember ever being. His life here has become so relaxed and calm and there was only one person to thank for that – (Y/N) Stark.

She made a foreign place feel like home with a snap of her fingers. Soft smiles exchanged by the two of them, the care she put into cooking, the nights spent snuggled under blankets by the fireplace with hot tea in their hands, all of that made his stay enjoyable. It felt so natural as well! At first he feared they'd be like strangers but they gravitated towards each other and soon, it was like no time has passed from their last encounter at all. Like they have never been torn apart, yet their appreciation for each other was even stronger than before because of the painful past.

Steve started joining her on her early morning walks through the forest and during her painting sessions at the pier or in the atelier. They didn't need to keep the conversation going at all times, just feeling each other's presence was enough. It made him realize how much he's missed the days spent in her workshop during basic army training. Yes, they never actually went to her workshop here because she didn't like being there, but it felt the same no matter where they were.

She smiled often, much more than she used to. Maybe it was because she didn't have to make weapons for killing people anymore. The days got colder and shorter and the two people out of time spent their evenings in the beautiful study, reading, sketching and talking. Sometimes (Y/N) would put on some music on the record player.

Those were the evenings that he remembered his feelings for her the most. No, remember wasn't the correct word, because he still felt that way even now, it wasn't just the memory. During that short time spent together, she made him fall in love with her all over again, just like back then. The way she'd patiently listen when he needed to talk about his problems but wouldn't ask if he didn't wanna tell, the way her eyes would shine when she described things she loved, the cutely furrowed brows on her face when she concentrated, it all made him feel drawn towards her. But when she put the music on, he'd always remember the promise she gave him the first time they met and then again when he saw her for what he thought was the last time. The dance she promised him decades ago, the one she wanted to dance with Steve Rogers, the asthmatic frail boy from Brooklyn. Did she even remember it still? On those nights, he wished he was brave enough to ask her to dance together in the study or on the terrace... but he was too afraid she wouldn't want to take his hand when he's changed so much and so much time has passed.

In his core, Steve knew it was a stupid worry, that she wasn't a girl to think like that. That she still saw him the same, no matter what happened and how much he's changed. But he didn't know if her heart would beat faster in his presence like his did in hers. He wanted her to feel the same but didn't know how to figure it out. And so, he stayed quiet.

What Steve didn't know was that whenever (Y/N) put on the record player, she desperately hoped he would ask for that dance. But he didn't and out of fear he either didn't remember the promise or, even worse, didn't wish for the dance, she never suggested anything.

When he came to her doorstep those two weeks ago, she couldn't believe it. And when he told her about what happened, she feared that too many events seaparted them now, that they wouldn't understand each other anymore. Oh, how wrong she was. He was still the same Steve Rogers she knew, no matter how much time has passed and how his appearance changed. He was still humble and giving, a man that would cut himself apart for others. He was still the man she fell in love with and every day spent together made those feelings grow deeper.

(Y/N) Stark was a brave woman but she couldn't bare the thought of rejection from Steve. She would rather forever keep quiet than make things awkward between them. He gave the signs he might like her as well, but knowing how kind he was, there was a huge chance he was just being nice. After all, they were friends, it was normal to do nice things for each other.

It was another one of those evenings that the two of them just peacefully sat in her study. He was snuggled in a blanket on a couch while (Y/N) was secretly sketching his face from her place on one of the bookshelf pathways above. Of course, he knew she was there, but he didn't need to know it was him she was drawing. The record player was playing softly in the background and she started humming along.

She wished he could stay there forever, just the two of them living in their little world. It would have been so easy to forget the world outside even existed... But she knew that could never happen. Steve was Captain America, a hero that had to go and save the world way too often to be able to just live peacefully in the middle of a forest. She wanted to curse at herself. Despite fate allowing them to meet again, she has probably long missed her chance. She regretted not dicarding her duties that evening of the Stark Expo and going dancing with Steve. Maybe then, everything could have been different. Maybe she would have left the army to run away with him and live a normal life, maybe he would have never enlisted. But as the butterfly effect goes, that one seemingly unimportant decision changed everything.

Deep in her heart she knew it was for the best. That Steve would never truly be happy if he didn't join the army. That the world needed a hero like him, that he deserved all that recognition. It was selfish to wish he never would have met Erskine because he deserved to become the super soldier more than anyone else. She knew that. She also knew that maybe they would have never fallen even if they did go dancing that night. Maybe he would enlist anyway and end up dying. Maybe they would never meet again after that one dance. Everything happened the way it did for a reason.

As she was lost in thoughts, the sketchbook slipped from her hands and started falling. (Y/N) reached for it quickly without thinking, knowing it'd fall on Steve if she didn't stop it. It would be so embarassing if he knew she was drawing him! However, since she had her head in the clouds, she failed to take her position into consideration. She was sitting on a ledge with her legs hanging down... and now it wasn't just the sketchbook falling, it was her as well.

She let out a panicked scream and braced herself for the fall. Hopefully she could avoid Steve at least. She closed her eyes, waiting for the impact.

It was softer than she expected. (Y/N) opened her eyes, only to find Steve's blue eyes looking back at her with barely contained laughter. She was sure she avoided the couch so how..? It clicked. He caught her. He managed to get up from the couch and catch her. And they both fell. Great, just great, this was so embarassing.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry!"

The girl rushed to get on her feet and offered her hand to Steve so he could get up as well. He gratefully took it but when he was standing, he burst out laughing.

"Haven't you lived here for years to know to be careful up there? How does that even happen?" he asked in between chuckles.

With a slight pout she looked down on her feet.

"Well, I thinking of something and stopped paying attention... are you alright tho? I didn't hurt you, did I?"

"No, I'm fine." he shook his head with a smile, "but this is kind of nostalgic, isn't it? Only last time it was me helping you up from the ground."

"But it wasn't you falling on me back then, it's different..."

Suddenly something clicked in her mind. He did remember this so that probably meant... he had to remember that promise, right? There might not be another oppurtunity to ask about this... she had to try it.

"Say, Steve, speaking of that day... I promised you something that day, didn't I?" she asked with a slight blush on her cheeks.

To her surprise, Steve's face flushed red as well as he bit his lip in a shy smile and looked away. He looked the same as back then, he really didn't change a bit. The nod he gave her was enough to make her heart skip a beat. He remembered, he looked so shy about it even now... maybe there was a chance he felt the same way after all.

(Y/N) walked over to the record player and switched it to a soft waltz before turning back to him. Steve was standing there with an expectant, almost hopeful look and she took one last breath before saying the words she wanted to say for so long, the words she thought she would never get the chance to say. A promise she thought she could never fullfill.

"I know I am a few decades late but... Steve Rogers, will you dance with me?"