Chapter 6

Adrian

Adrian

tw/ mentions of abuse

✧༺✦✮✦༻∞

The sounds of the bustling airport filled Adrian's ears as he stood by the opening of the baggage claim gate. It was Thanksgiving week, so of course it was going to be busy, but the number of people surrounding him was insane.    

The doors opened again, and he finally spotted a familiar head of black wavy hair weaving through the crowd. He lifted his arms in the air and waved them about. 

"Aria!" He called out.

His sister's amber gaze met his, and her face broke out into a smile. She ran straight towards him, leaping into his arms as soon as she was close enough.

"Ugh! I missed you, Ano." She breathed, and Adrian smiled into the crown of her head. 

"I missed you too." He pulled away and took her suitcase in his hand. "Let's go, Dad's already in a bad mood, and if we're late it'll only get worse." 

Aria nodded, and they both started walking towards the parking garage.

"How come Papa let you come on your own?" She asked as she got into the passenger seat of Adrian's sleek, black car.

"He didn't." Adrian replied, buckling his seatbelt and starting the car. 

Aria sighed, and Adrian clenched his jaw at what he knew she was going to say next. 

"I know you don't want to be here, Adrian, but-"

"But nothing. I'm here for you. That's it."

"And I appreciate that so much. But he's your dad. Our dad."

"Is he. I didn't notice." Adrian gritted out, his grip on the steering wheel tightening. He glanced at his sister's solemn face for a second before looking back at the road. "Can we not talk about this right now? Please."

Aria nodded, and for the rest of the drive back to their parent's house, it was silent except for the sound of the music playing on the radio.

Adrian had left on a flight back to Albany, New York early Saturday morning to avoid the rush of people flying home for the holidays. However much he hated being at home, Aria had convinced him to go after much pleading and guilt-tripping.  

Aria worked at some law firm as an intern back in NYC, and she couldn't fly out until Sunday, so Adrian had to spend the entirety of Saturday distracting himself and finding any excuse not to be at home. One of his old buddies had thrown a party since everyone was coming back for the break, and Adrian had gone since there was nothing better to do. He sure as hell wasn't going to stay in the house with his father and his girlfriend. 

Adrian still didn't know how his father could move on that quickly, but he had given up hope on the man a while ago. 

He pulled into the driveway of the house and parked the car. He got out and went to take Aria's luggage, but she had gotten it already. He went to go ring the doorbell when his sister blocked his path.