5 | A Rude Awakening

The atmosphere was its usual calming cold, blankets half discarded and touching the hardwood floor. With a leg hanging off the side of the bed, your eyes found the textured ceiling an interesting view, staring at it without a single thought or reason. You laid in the silence of the night, enjoying the peace you had in the moment.

It was a quiet night surprisingly. No alarm dragging you from your sleep or nightmare to haunt you until you were up in a cold or more so hot sweat. No infernal to put to rest or screaming. It was bliss.

You woke up earlier than usual and using this to your advantage, you chose this time to get ready before everyone else. With sleep cherished by most fire soldiers, you weren't so concerned about anyone being up.

The first thing you did was rush to the showers, remembering to take your common uniform that was neatly folded in one of the boxes Iris brought the other day. Making a mental note to thank her again for her kindness, you scurried through the halls to the girls' showers.

One long, cold shower later and you were fitted into your clothes. You adjusted the orange coverall made just for you. It looked like your old one back in training. The right sleeve was cut off and the trousers were modified into shorts. On the upper left arm laid your brigade number, symbolizing fire force company eight— the company you were now a part of. Then there was the cross symbol on the back, another display of your duty to put the ones who succumbed to the flames to rest. You felt right wearing it and contemplated why you put off the idea so long.

Solemn it was, but it had to be done. Those flames that caused despair and anguish to loved ones, you couldn't let them burn. You couldn't let Katsumi down. You couldn't be the monster they made you to be. No, you would never become something so horrible. That's why being part of this company was a blessing. Though it may be small and down in the dumps, even you could tell this place was filled with love and well crafted people. Skillful in one way to play their part and caring for their comrades. If only you knew where you fitted in, maybe you wouldn't feel so out of place.

Grabbing the rest of your stuff, you began making your way back down to your room, lost in thought about a mixture of things. One lingering thought being food and regret for not eating with the rest of your team. A thought crossed your mind on what Iris said earlier about saving you a portion if you didn't come down. God, she's such an angel...

Before you could finish your thought, you bumped into something hard, knocking you over your feet and falling backwards. Resisting the urge to spit expletives, you tried to use your fire in your hands to stop your descend, but something stopped you instead.

"H-hey? I'm sorry, I wasn't looking." His ruby eyes were the first thing you saw, something you thought if you stared at long enough you would drown in. They were filled with concern and something else you couldn't quite place. They held your gaze, unmoving, focused, and warm. "Are you... okay?"

You blinked, trying to find the breath to speak back. Clearing your throat with a quick head shake, you gave a nod. "I'm fine. I wasn't paying attention either."

With a shrug you realized your current position. Your hands rested on Shinra's biceps and his hands were wrapped around your waist and shoulder. It was as if time slowed down, faces close enough to cause tension and neither of you made a move to pull apart or close the distance. At this point Shinra's lips trembled to surpress his smile but he was ultimately failing.

Before he could speak, another voice beat him to it.

"Hey! Who goes there?!" Arthur yelled, standing by the doorway with his sword drawn. The soft ocean blue illuminated the hallway, dancing across your skin as Shinra's deep red eyes contrasted with the angelic glow.

Shinra grunted, turning his head to face the soldier. "Its nothing. Go back to-"

𝐵𝒶-𝒹𝓊𝓂...

𝐵𝒶-𝒹𝓊𝓂!

Swing!

Your hands rushed to pull Shinra towards you before you could form a coherent thought or realize what happened. The glow of the sword caressed his face, narrowly missing him and cutting a few strands of hair.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Shinra snapped at Arthur as he regained his balance. You instantly went in defense mode, even more confused than the kid beside you.

"Fear not princess, I will s-slay this beast an-d rescue you." Arthur slurred his words with wobbly feet as he approached the two of you again.

"Shinra," You whispered, pulling at his sleeve to get his attention. "I don't think he's awake... Look." You pointed to Arthur who readied his sword, and sure enough, his eyes were closed.

"He can't even be normal in his dreams?" Shinra mumbled, baffled at his bunkmate as he shook his head. "We just need to wake him up right?"

Arthur lunged again, aiming for Shinra's head with a quick swing of his sword. Shinra swiftly ducked before Arthur could hit him, igniting the flames in his feet to knock the knight out of balance.

You activated the flames in your hands, casting a circular flame to your palm and throwing it to the blond who sliced through it with his sword. You blurted an "Easier said than done." Before backing up from the two to create some distance, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. "Looks like he's after you."

"Y-yeah. Great observation." Shinra groaned as he dodged another blow, giving a kick to Arthur's stomach and throwing him back.

How the hell could he be so efficient in combat in his sleep!?

The two exchanged more jabs and kicks. Arthur's drunk movement threw Shinra off receiving him an uppercut to the chin and he went tumbling down. The blond raised his sword to strike again but he was met with a hard, flaming chop to his neck- which probably woke him and knocked him out again as he fell into your arms, dropping his sword in the process.

"I take it back, that was easier done than said." You smirked, dismissing the flames in your hand as Shinra sighed.

The two of you chuckled at the bizarre moment as your horns flamed up and disappeared into ashes. Shinra's eyes seemed trained at the action, a hint of confusion crossing them and... fear?

Before you could question his look, you flinched, feeling a vibration run through your skin as hairs tickled your neck. Moving your head to the side, you could see Arthur groan, opening his eyes to see his face mushed into a chest.

"Is this... heaven?" He blinked, startling you in the process. Fear rose through your skin as you not so softly pushed him off, causing him to fall onto Shinra who seemed in his own little world before getting bumped into.

You coughed up a scoff, walking past the two to do something about your hunger, trying to ignore your slight embarrassment and holding the urge to kick him in the face– not that he deserved it. Shinra and Arthur was not too far behind, resuming their usual bickering about the last ten minuets.

🔥━❖━ ⊙ Lá†om ⊙ ━❖━🔥

Man I love these two so much 😭