Chapter 1

Your POV

Since it was my best friend, Trent's, birthday, I'd decided to spend the day with him. Firstly a game of bowling, followed by a meal at his favourite restaurant and then a movie at my apartment with my boyfriend and Trent, since they get along nicely. I'd invited my boyfriend to join us for the day, however he'd insisted that I treat my best friend, like the generous person I've been told I am. I'd arranged to pick him up at eleven that morning, to make sure he got to spend some time with his family before hanging out with me.

"Happy birthday Trent!" I cried, as he got into the passenger seat of the car.

"Thanks!" He smiled, clipping in his seatbelt as I got ready to drive away.

"What presents have you got then?" I asked, driving away from Trent's house.

"Well, I got those trainers I've been going on about." Trent answered. Yes! Now I didn't have to listen to him going on (and on) about how much he loved that pair of trainers he'd spotted a few weeks ago!

"Thank god!" I teased, causing Trent to playfully roll his eyes.

"Yeah yeah!" He exclaimed.

"Anyway, I'd rather talk about how many points I'm gonna beat you by at bowling." I teased.

"None, I don't think." Trent replied, raising an eyebrow.

"We'll see about that!" I challenged, pulling into the carpark of the bowling alley. We both stepped out the car, and headed inside, checked into our lane and got ready to play. It didn't look very good for me when Trent got a strike on his first frame.

"Beat that!" He smiled, returning to the seats. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a strike and had to settle for a spare.

"I feel like you have an advantage coz of your free kicks." I pouted.

"How could that possibly give me an advantage?" Trent asked, laughing slightly.

"You've gotta have good aim to take free kicks the way you do." I pointed out.

"I suppose that's true, but bowling and free kicks are two completely different concepts." Trent argued.

"Bowling is basically a free kick with your hand, it's not that different at all." I insisted. Trent just laughed at my pathetic excuses. He stepped up for the second frame, where he got a spare. I was only able to knock down eight of the ten pins, putting me quite far behind already. Great! I didn't do anything special on the next few frames (Trent got a couple of spares) until the fifth frame, when I managed to get a strike!

"Yes!" I cheered, going back to my seat.

"I'm still winning." Trent pointed out.

"I know, I just don't get strikes that often. Small personal victory!" I exclaimed. Trent smiled.

"Fair enough. I'm gonna do better though." He said.

"You can't get better than a strike." I pointed out.

"I'm gonna get a strike too then." Trent said, stepping up to take his go. And he stuck to his word to be fair, also achieving a strike. I rolled my eyes.

"Told ya!" Trent cried. I managed to get a spare on my next go, whereas Trent only knocked down nine of the pins, however my performance from there dipped slightly, where Trent managed to get two spares, before the tenth frame. I managed to get a spare, gifting me one more turn.

"I've lost already." I said, returning to get a ball for my final throw.

"Probably." Trent shrugged. I gave him a death glare, stepping up to take my final throw; eight pins. Trent then stepped up for his last turn, getting a strike. I audibly groaned, as he returned to grab a ball to take his second to last throw. He knocked nine of the pins down, and failed to hit down the last one on his final throw. Overall, I lost, by a good few points.