Prologue: Matters and Not

The warm landscape stretched beneath the hilltop, in eye-pleasing shades of orange, green, and red. The landscape was full of people in bright outfits quickly running around and mingling with everyone who passed by. There wasn't much class separation today. I think I even saw a noble talk with a dozen or so peasants at once! Even some working-poors got gear and items they would have a hard time affording.

My eyes glittered and shinned in awe as an event of my lifetime happened. This had been in great preparation. Some kingdom over I believe two mountains had started a war against us, and its neighboring kingdom. It was an event you couldn't miss, especially for us young ones.

Suddenly someone poked their head over the side of the hillish cliff. I had been expecting them, and I think they weren't expecting me. Or at least, not so early. I had risen up hours ago but procrastinated and only arrived about 30 minutes ago. My sleep schedule wasn't the most well-adjusted to normal life.

I helped them up, then scurried back to grab my container of pancakes and other things. They looked taken aback at the offer, but grateful and hugged me then stuffed a few in their mouth, particularly the syrup and buttered ones. Even as the kingdom rationed food, living outside the kingdom did not mean the same despite our close distance.

I offered a drink, which they declined by just having water from a carried canister, that looked spectacular if I do say. With that, I went back to laying down and watching. They stood awkwardly for a second then slowly approached to join me. I sat up and as they sat down next to me, I wrapped my arm around them. They slowly leaned against my shoulder and we smiled to ourselves.

No matter what such a world like the one we were thrown in has to shoot at us, I'm sure we can forever trust to be by each other's side. Moments like this are the highs of my entire life, and all the other times are always the best. There isn't a single thing wrong with us. We have the relationship people dream to have, and it's true. It's real.

We joke about something and fall over in laughter. The sun is warm, not hot and burning, but warm enough that it's good to feel but fine to not. I gasp in breath and yell at them for being stupid. They take it like they always do, through one ear and out the other.

We do a half wrestling ordeal and then ended up just hugging. It's one of my favourite things anyway, and I love being lost in a moment of pure happiness with my bestest friend in the entire worlds. His eyes always have a brightest shine, and despite how many said brown eyes were clear genetic traits of commoners, I thought the amberish-gold colour looked unique and special.

I clutched his body close to mine and he struggled to kick my arms off his legs and we fooled around until I finally decided we should stop so we don't fall off the cliff. He told me how cliffs back home were lies, and I agreed that even the mountains that surrounded the royal garden always looked quite small.

He groaned and complained of how hot it was and how he found a dead bug (One he was scared of greatly, and described as a perfect stinkbug. I'd never be scared of one...) on the walkway to his room. I cackled in laughter at the images created from previous bug interactions, and imagined his loud and high-pitched scream echo in the hall and servants come rushing to the scared boy's side just to find a measly dead stink bug,  legs up, and on it's back.

His antics were humourous, and the person I was when around him was someone I could only dream to truly be. We made each other absolutely perfect. He tugged on my flannel and continued whining while a award winning smile spread across my face, and soon he had his own dose of happiness and joined my smile in it's shining power.

He suddenly let out bursts of giggles upon starting at my goofy face for a little too long. I was soon unable to breathe out of immense joy, and maybe forgot to breathe...breathe.