Chapter 1

Dinner in the chinese household was always... awkward, considering the relations between two of the habitants. Namely, China and Hong Kong. It was completely understandable, given the history of unrest they shared. Thankfully, both had agreed to use dinner as a time to unwind and relax, instead of stirring up old grudges.

Unfortunately, the same could not be said for tonight's dinner.

It started as it usually would: China, the provinces, Hong Kong and Macau sitting at the table, eating dinner in silence while the TV played a news segment in the background.

They all ate in silence for a while, listening to the news as background noise. HK, having finished dinner early, listened to the news reporter drone on.

"Earlier today, we received news that a man had killed his girlfriend in Taiwan. Chan Tong-Kai, 19, murdered his girlfriend at a hotel in Taiwan, before escaping to Hong Kong. As a result, China's leader, Xi Jinping, proposed the idea of the extradition bill. According to anonymous sources, the bill allows China to arrest criminals from countries without a formal extradition agreement. This includes Taiwan and Hong Kong. CE Carrie Lam has said nothing about it, but Hong Kong citizens are heavily protesting against it."

HK turns off the TV, and looks toChina, who doesn't meet her eyes. "Is this true?" No response. "China, is this true?" she demands again. He's suspiciously silent, not looking at her the entire time.

"It's true, isn't it." She steps back from the table, glaring at him with disbelief and anger. "You knew about this, didnt you? This is just another plan of yours to get my city back under the control of your country! Was making the CE your pawn not enough? The agreement was 50 years! 50 years of freedom, that was what you and Britain agreed on!" She yells.

"You're breaking the promise, aren't you? There's STILL 28 years left, just-" her sentence is cut off by the sound of a chair falling backwards with a thud. Standing at 5'11, China is terrifyingly tall compared to HK, and she can't help but cower slightly.

"You DARE defy me in my home? You were handed back to me, Hong Kong, it's only a matter of time before you completely become one of my territories," he hisses, voice dripping with malice. "You better learn your place, daughter. You know that 28 years is nothing for someone who's lived thousands of years."

He stares at her, cold and unyielding, and she stares back, defiant but fearful. Eventually, he wins. HK knows that he's right.

With one last growl she leaves, stomping upstairs and shutting herself in her room. Part of her hates the idea of reuniting with China, and losing her independence. The other part of her likes it. WANTS it, with a burning passion, and she hates that.

She (he?) wants to be FREE, but she feels the need to listen to him. It was such a simple plan, just rebel and run away! But it's more than that, he will always be one, five, TEN steps ahead, and it frustrates her. But perhaps it's what makes him the most suitable to take care of her, and maybe that's why Britain gave her back.

HK growls, clenching her hands. Maybe she needs to clear her head. Yeah, that must be it.

She shuts the door of her room behind her quietly, the rest of her 'family' (if she could call them that) still eating dinner. She makes her way to the bathroom quietly, locking the door behind her and turning on the faucet, cupping her hands until they're filled with water then splashing said water onto her face.

Lately, China had been more and more difficult to be around. She was a literal representation of all the people of Hong Kong – this meant that she was both the government and the protestors, and the civilians and the police.

HK sighs, letting the water drip into the sink before turning the faucet off. She needed some water.

But as soon as she took one step out of the bathroom, a particularly painful headache stopped her in her tracks.

The extradition bill is a shit rule! It shouldn't be a thing! It's there to protect us. We should let China pass the bill so that murderer can be apprehended!

It hurt.

The last thing Hong Kong remembers is falling to the ground and the muffled sound of footsteps before everything in her vision turns black.

-----------------

hey, yo, heres chapter one as promised! as mentioned in the description, the whole  'two voices' thing in hks head isnt a representation of DID or bipolar disorder, because its not ment to be! i am not trying to write it as such! if this is, in any way offensive to people who DO have either, i will gladly change it to be less offensive!

chapter two coming out in like janurary probably. merry christmas! (late) happy hannukah! hope you liked this chapter! :)