Too Proud

* Nieva *

I keep my head down as I move through the halls. I've already heard talk that Aspen was here. And Unity had spoke to me earlier, so of course I knew she was at school. That convo had been long and insightful. I never thought that all this drama would bring me to expose one of my most well kept secrets. A secret I'm not particularly embarrassed about, but I am cautious and protective of.

Despite me nearly fighting her, Unity was surprisingly supportive of me and showed me she still loved me. She promised not to mention it to Aspen until I told her myself or until I was ready to. Because of that, it made me realize how selfish and evil I had been the night prior. It made me realize that I was kind of fucked up for that shit.

Well, not kind of fucked up. Completely.

I waited near Aspen's locker, tapping my foot almost impatiently. She finally showed up and shot me an irritated look. "Hey," she said in an annoyed tone. "I shouldn't have done what I did. And even though it's done and my words don't change anything, I still know that I need to apologize to you. I already talked with Unity," I rush out before she can think about walking away.

"Yeah I know," she shrugs.

I ignore the curious looks of others as I move off her locker and sigh. She opens it up and gets her stuff out, a focused look on her face even though I could see through her facade. She was ignoring me.

Great.

"I should really stop talking to you. I should ignore you. I should tell everybody all the secrets you've shared about me over the years. I should be furious with you. I should say you deserve all this talk that's going on around town." Aspen turned to stare at me. "But I'm not like that. And...you've been my friend for so long." I step forward to hug her but she holds a hand up in my face. "Yeah I dumped my feelings on you, but you didn't have to react the way you did. I forgive you, Nieva, but I also want you to take some time for yourself to think about the things you said and did. When you're more clear minded, come talk to me."

She pecked me on the cheek and locked her locker, heading off to her next class.

"You don't understand how difficult this is," I whisper softly, watching her leave me.

I turn away and head to my own class.

I'm at a constant war within myself to share my secret. I've been judged harshly before- why would I want that to happen again? But then...what if things turn out differently here? No. I've worked hard to live a happy life in Elverwood, I don't think I can take a chance like this.

I look around at my classmates. At the way they're looking at me now just over some petty drama. Would they see me in a worse light if they found out my secret?

I pinch my lips together.

And Aspen seems determined to find out what I'm keeping from her. Rightfully so, I suppose, since I've shared almost every other secret I've had with her. I sigh. Maybe things would have been different if I was from here, born here. Because things back home in Kentucky were never amazing. But here, I feel like I live in a town filled with family and safety.

If my secret gets out...I don't want to have to leave behind peace again. Not this time. I won't allow it.