Chapter 6

There's something about the woods that I love so much. It's got this calm that makes you feel better even at the worst times. I guess when all goes wrong, the forest is my safe haven. I feel at peace when I hear the sounds of other creatures in the ground and trees. Sometimes I come across a small marsh where I can see the perfect reflection of the woods to the pale moon in the sky.

                Unfortunately I had no such encounter this time. I abandoned the motorcycle at the opening of the forest and walked around the trunks of each tree. The grass hung lightly with dew and made this rippling effect as I walked across it. An owl hooted in the distance and (by my guess) lightly perched on one of the branches. The shrill chirps of a nearby cricket blended into the cool September night.

                The forest was bursting with life. I could never stop hearing things. If I closed my eyes and sat down, I would only go five minutes without being interrupted by a twig snapping from a deer who was probably going home or a the light dripping from a nearby creek. I had to say, I envied all these animals. Their only thoughts involve how to survive the next day. I doubt a deer or owl or any other creature in this forest had to deal with emotions and heartbreak.

Why do you want to be like the owls in these trees? Can't you accept the fact that you found your mate. You know that our mother never wanted to give such a bad vibe about mates.

I don't have to explain this to you a million times Julia. You're smarter and stronger than me. You should understand.

I understand that you are upset. I understand that you love him even though you've only seen him for five seconds. I understand it kills you to be apart from him. And I understand that you doubt yourself.

I scoffed Your just naming off what you feel. 

You feel it too Lilly, involuntarily.

How can you possibly know that? We've only seen him for five seconds. Whoever made up the phrase "love at first sight" is full of crap.

She chuckled For humans that expression is completely irrelevant but for wolves its nothing but true. We do have love at first sight only we call it finding our mate.

I call it bull shit. I grumbled

She sighed impatiently Your so stubborn. Quit being a coward. Go home."

Go Home. Those words made me smile and then grin and then laugh insanely.

She's lost it Julia muttered.

No I haven't. I said while wiping the tears from my eyes and gingerly leaning on the bark of a pine tree I'm just laughing because I'm confused. I thought I could never find home when I leave our old house and its only been four days but I can't imagine any other place being home than the pack house.

I agree

How could we be so drawn to that place? I asked her How did I find a new home, new best friends, and a mate in four short days. Do I attach to easily?