Day 1: Dance/First Kiss "But Someone Might Hear You"

A/N: I recently saw the new "West Side Story" and was inspired to write some Zutara. "West Side Story" is one of my favorite musicals. I've seen it twice on stage: once on Broadway in 2009 and at a local performance venue called The Northshore Music Theater here in Massachusetts.
I was inspired to write this by the Zutara Smut Week 2021 day one prompt: "But Someone Might Hear You." Unfortunately, there's no smutty goodness in this.

Katara noticed the boy with the burnt face across the crowded gymnasium. He stood apart from everyone else and watched the dancing with detached interest. Even if he weren't all alone, we would have stood out due to the burns that covered one of his eyes.
Katara couldn't help but be intrigued by him. Despite his scars, he still had a strange sort of beauty, like a damaged statue of an angel. The gym was filled with pretty girls just itching to dance, and he could probably ask any of them and get a yes. So, why was he by himself?
His gaze met Katara's. The music dimmed, and the light blurred, but he came into sharper focus. Everything that wasn't him faded into irrelevance.
Katara's first night out in Ba Sing Se had gotten off to a rough start, with a squabble about the dress Suki made for her. She'd refused to show up in powder blue with a neckline almost to her collarbone, looking like a little girl, and insisted upon borrowing one of Suki's dresses. But, Suki kept shooting her down until she was forced to put it on for lack of anything else to wear.

 But, Suki kept shooting her down until she was forced to put it on for lack of anything else to wear

"Baby blue for a baby," Katara had grumbled as Suki did up the zipper. But then, she caught her reflection in the mirror, and her opinion of the dress changed.
Deep down, Katara had known that Suki's dresses, with their plunging necklines and big, flouncy skirts, wouldn't suit her. She didn't have Suki's lush, womanly curves. Her own figure was more slight and delicate, and the simple, diaphanous blue dress flattered it better. She could be an ethereal water nymph if she couldn't be a voluptuous earth goddess like Suki.
Things were going well with Aang; the friend Sokka had invited to come to the dance with them with the understanding that he would be Katara's date and keep an eye on her when Sokka couldn't. Aang seemed like a sweet guy, though heaven only knew why he hung around a bunch of punks like Sokka and his friends. He spoke to Katara as if she were a person in her own right instead of just Sokka's little sister.  And he was a great dancer.
"Do you want some punch?" Aang said. He and Katara were sweaty and breathless as a song was winding down.
Katara nodded, and Aang dashed off like an obedient hound. While she waited for Aang, she watched what was happening on the dance floor.
As much fun as everyone was having, battle lines were drawn. The Dragons on one side, the Polar Bear-Dogs on the other. Tensions simmered beneath the surface.
The overly chipper social worker running the dance, Joo-Dee, made a well-intentioned but futile attempt to bridge the gap with a game.
"The boys," Joo Dee said. "form a circle on the outside, and the girls will be on the outside. When the music stops, each boy dances with whichever girl is opposite."
All Joo Dee got for her efforts was a chorus of groans until a Dragon girl in a figure-hugging red number, and her glossy, dark hair pulled into a tight ponytail stepped forward and beckoned to her date.