Chapter 7

SEEING SPIDER MAN NO WAY HOME TOMORROW NIGHT BESTIES WHOJOSJSJSNSK

"You're going to wear that?" Ayra asks, stark white markings above her eyes shooting up.

Ahsoka almost glares at her but is able to restrain herself as she pulls the sweatshirt more tightly around herself, cuffs hanging over her hands. Anakin had used to roll them up for her when she'd worn his clothes to school, but now she likes them like this.

"Yes," she says blankly, squatting down to tie her shoe. "Is there something wrong with it?"

"No," Ayra replies with a forced laugh, "I just... thought you might wear something a bit more formal. It's a more expensive place and, though I know you like to wear your dad's clothes, they're just..."

Ahsoka narrows her eyes.

"Just what?"

"Well," Ayra steps forward to brush her hands over the girl's shoulders, picking off pill balls in the process. She holds them in front of her daughter's face. "Cheap."

Ahsoka's blood boils.

"Who cares if you're richer than him?"

"That's not what I—"

"Mom, that's the definition of cheap. Don't talk about him like he's... inferior to you."

"Ahsoka—"

"I'll be in the speeder," she mutters, storming out of the apartment and slamming the door behind herself.

Ayra sighs and deposits the pill balls into the garbage can in the closet at the end of the hall.

There's tension throughout the entirety of the lunch date. Ahsoka can feel it. She knows that her mother can too because she hasn't stopped trying to impress her since they'd sat down. It's her way of trying to win her over when she knows that Ahsoka absolutely prefers Anakin to her right now. And most of the time.

Ayra clears her throat, preparing to make herself louder than the squeak of Ahsoka's fork against her plate.

"I have a surprise for you," she says.

Ahsoka drums her fingers on the clear, glass table.

"What is it?"

Ayra clasps her hands together, resting her elbows on the table before propping her chin up on her knuckles. She leans forward, waggling her eyebrow markings excitedly.

"Your dad told me about the bike race you wanted to see for your birthday." She reaches into her pocket. Ahsoka's eyes follow her red hand until it's holding three pieces of paper out in front of her. "And he said that he was planning on getting you something else, so I got you the tickets. Surprise!"

"Holy..." Ahsoka whistles gently pulling the tickets from her mother's hand. "Three? Thank you!" she cries, standing up from her seat and running around the outside of the table to crush her mom in a hug. "Dad can come too," she exclaims as she pulls back.

The grin that had graced Ayra's face just moments before falters slightly.

"Well, I got an extra because I figured that you would want to bring a friend with you," she laughs nervously.

"Oh, well, that's okay; I'd like to bring dad instead."

"But it's for your birthday," Ayra begins to argue. "You should invite someone who you want to go with you, not just your dad because he's family. I don't want you to feel obligated—"