Chapter 8

it's been awhile fellas

"Where to, Tano?" Nyx asks, tapping his fingers on the crumpled metal outside his window while his arm folds over the remaining half of the glass surface; Ahsoka can't even remember a time when his windows still opened all the way.

"Tano-Skywalker."

She hardly registers the words that he's saying to her, only the fact that he's speaking, and that he'd forgotten the better part of her last name. And for someone that talks as much as Nyx Okami, she's trained herself to often let his words go in one montral, and right out the other.

"Ahsoka," he repeats, nudging her with his elbow.

"Hmm?" she asks.

He's about to restate his question when he notices the furrow of the markings over her eyes and the slight wither of her usually buoyant expression.

"Do you... want to talk about what happened with your mom?"

She purses her lips and turns away from him for a moment.

"Let's go to that ice cream parlor. I'll tell you about it on the way," she decides, whipping around to face him once again as the familiar figure of her mother steps out, past the diner doors.

She doesn't know if Nyx sees her too, but he hits the gas quickly enough for her to assume so, and then they're off.

"She's just... infuriating," Ahsoka sighs, clenching her fist and pounding it down onto her armrest. Nyx reaches over, wrapping his hand around her own in an attempt to ease the tension away.

He lets go after a moment.

"She is doing everything in her power to keep me away from my dad and it is ridiculous. With my birthday coming up, she got these tickets to the races for me and—"

"She got you race tickets?" Nyx exclaims, whipping his head to the side to stare at her with wide eyes, mouth open. He snaps it back shut quickly when he notices the frustrated tears that have begun to form in his friend's eyes. "Sorry, sorry. Continue?"

"Yeah, uh, she got three tickets because she knew that my dad couldn't afford them, and he really wanted to take me. And so, obviously, I said that I wanted him to come along, right?"

"Obviously," Nyx agrees, bobbing his head.

"But, then she told me that it would be awkward if she and he both went."

"That's ridiculous—it isn't even about her," Nyx interrupts again.

" Exactly," she mutters, shaking her head. "If it were up to me, now I'd just bring my dad and you probably, but I guess that's rude or something."

She can tell that he's trying to hide his excitement at the sound of that proposition, trying his hardest to be compassionate while the idea of going to the races with her plays through his head.

"She'll get over it eventually, I'm sure. It's just aggravating right now."

"I hope she does."

Ahsoka smirks at him.

"And not just because it would possibly mean I could go to the race with you," he frantically adds.

Ahsoka laughs loudly, the sweet sound getting lost in the wind as they speed around a corner.

"It's raining again," Nyx comments, drumming his fingers on the cool metal of the table between him and Ahsoka.

"Thanks, Captain Obvious," she mutters, her eyes already wide in wonder at the sight of the weather outside, her chin propped up on the heel of her hand.

"Do you want my jacket?" he asks, ignoring her. "You know, to put over your head. Doesn't the rain hurt your montrals?"

"A little bit, yeah, but I'll be alright," she replies, biting back a smile. "Wanna go outside?"

"It's raining," he repeats, gesturing wildly at the window as she stands up, biting the bottom piece off of her cone and letting the melted, blue ice cream drip into her mouth while she laughs.

"Exactly." She waggles her eyebrow markings at him.

" Ahsoka," he calls after her, tossing the rest of his cone in the garbage after she does, before taking off after her as she sprints out the door, the little bell above it ringing merrily. " Ahsoka!" he shouts again as he follows her out.

"Come on!" she yells back, raising her voice over the sound of the pouring rain.

"It's kriffing freezing, you're gonna get sick!" he sputters, wrapping his arms around himself as he cowers beneath the awning.

"Great! My healer is closer to my dad's place, I'll get to go stay with him!" she teases, throwing her arms out to the sides and spinning in a circle beneath the downpour, squealing with delight.

Nyx looks up at his dry covering, and then at the girl before him, dripping with rain. He huffs out a sigh, half wanting to stay comfortable where he is (these are brand new shoes), and half wanting to go get that idiot out of the cold.

He rolls his eyes and allows himself one last pitiful moment of warmth before running at her, his hair falling over his eyes as the water sticks it to his tan skin.

" Nyx!" Ahsoka squawks loudly when he wraps his arms around her from behind, a side of his jacket clasped in each of his hands.

"Get to the speeder, numbskull," he says, walking her over to the vehicle. It takes him a moment to find his keys, but as soon as the door is open, he's shoving her into her seat—where it's warm, for kriff's sake.

By the time he's in, on the other side, she's erupted into a fit of giggles, despite the fact that she's clearly, violently shivering.

He shakes his head with a loud sigh, and she doesn't stop shaking—from the cold, or from whatever's so damn funny , he can't tell.

"You're nothing but trouble, Skywalker," he laughs back.

He notices that she doesn't correct him this time.

see ya real soon 😙🤟