Chapter Nine

The sixth day of camp finally rolled around, and all the campers were gathered on the beach while the Professor and Corina addressed them all. She didn't want the summer camp to end just yet. This was her first time here, and she's been loving every second of it, watching Ash and his friends and their pokemon excel at every challenge. Her pokemon had enjoyed it, too. They never had the chance to make a lot of new friends on their journey, yet. Today was what the whole camp had been leading towards, and everyone could not be more excited.

"It's already the sixth day of camp, which means we finally decide who gets into the hall of fame! So, get ready for the team battle competition!" Professor Sycamore announced, obviously pumped up himself for today's event. The campers started muttering excitedly to each other. "The team battle competition works like a tournament. As usual, the competing teams that that the top three spots will receive points." He began, "We have two teams tied for the lead with thirteen points, and those teams are: Team Froakie and Team Squirtle! This is our final camp event, so give it your all and have fun!"

The trainers dispersed across the beach to get their strategies in order. Corina turned to the Professor. "Are you excited for the battles?"

"How could I not be? This is the apex of the whole week!" He beamed, his blue eyes glancing between all the teams.

"I can't believe I was never allowed to come to this growing up. I feel like I missed out."

"Perhaps, we missed out on you. I can imagine the team you, Leon, and Alain would have made here." He grinned, then looked over at her. "Although, I suppose you and Alain wouldn't have been able to get much done alone together, with how you two would be around each other, and all."

Corina blushed and focused her eyes on the beach, avoiding eye contact with the Professor. "Oh geez. Not you too, Professor. First Leon teases me, now you."

Eda snicked from beside her, and Corina shot a look at her partner. Eda attempted to hold in her laughter, but not very effectively.

The first several rounds went by in a flash, containing action-packed moves and innovative battling strategies. Unsurprisingly, Teams Froakie and Squirtle were the last ones left for the finals. Corina made her way to the pokemon center to look for Ash, Serena, Bonnie, and Clemont to see what their strategy for their upcoming finals would be. "Hey, you guys!"

"Oh hey, Corina! Are you gonna watch our battle?"

"Of course! I wouldn't miss it!" Corina smiled. Nurse Joy handed Ash and his friends back their pokemon after healing them all up.

"Nurse Joy!" They looked over to see Tierno, Shauna, and Trevor jog up to the counter.

"We're here for our pokemon." Tierno smiled, and Nurse Joy exchanged a look with her Wigglytuff

"Huh? That's confusing. I'm afraid they're not here." The trainers all exchanged a confused and worried look. Trevor and the others began to explain that the camp chefs approached them, and they told the campers that they were also trained healthcare workers and offered to care for their pokemon.

"Our chefs did that?" Ash asked, placing his hands on his hips. Corina exchanged a look with Eda, sensing something suspicious was going on.

"Hmm. Guess they can do anything."

"They might still be busy with the check-up?" Serena suggested, but it didn't seem to ease anyone else

"Yeah, but it's been such a long time."

"I think we should go looking for them!" Ash suggested, and the pokemon were the first to bolt out the sliding doors, and right away, it was evident that Bunnelby and Fennekin could sense something.