Chapter 1

Kestrel woke up, yawning. She was nine years old now, ready for battle training. The SkyWing was born in a wealthy family, and always dreamt of becoming a soldier for her Queen. Today was her first ever training to become one! The dragonet jumped out of her bed, pushing away the soft, orange covers. She hopped out her room and into the kitchen. 

"Good morning everybody!" she said, with an extra-long 'o' in 'good'. She hugged her father, Hawk, who was writing on a old-looking piece of scroll on his wooden desk. Well, 'hugged' is perhaps not the right word. Kestrel was very small compared to her father, and her arms could barely wrap around his neck. It was good enough for him, though. Hawk nodded slowly and smiled.

"Good morning, Mother." The dragonet shifted her gaze to Goldfinch, who was a rather small SkyWing. Kestrel smelled the familiar aroma of roasted cow slices, seasoned with sea salt and herbs. Goldfinch's cooking was amazing, and sometimes, she would be invited to cook for royal parties. Her beef dishes were the best, and Kestrel's family would eat them often.

"Good morning, Kestrel, my darling." Her mother smiled at her, bringing the dishes to the dining table. The small dragonet followed her and sat down to eat. "Food's ready, Hawk." Goldfinch called.

"You better come quick, Father, or I'll eat the everything!" Kestrel yelled, her mouth already stuffed with the amazing food. The meat melted in her mouth and tasted like it came from the heavens up above. 

"Kestrel, eat with your mouth closed." Goldfinch reminded her.

"Then how am I supposed to even eat?" Kestrel's high voice was muffled by the food.

"And don't talk while eating, either." Her mother added, chuckling. 

The dragonet devoured the meal quickly, then had another serving. She left some for her father and her mother, of course. They better be fast, because there was no way Kestrel was going to be late to her first battle training. No way. 

"Mother, Father, please eat quick." She begged. "I can't be late. Pleaseeee!" Kestrel tugged on Goldfinch's arm, then Hawk's. There was not even time for patience. They had to leave, now. Like, RIGHT NOW. She then quickly changed her expression to worry, her eyes wide and saddened. "Unless you want to leave your poor, poor Kestrel go to training all alone...", she paused. "Or even worse, missing her first training..." The dragonet then let out a small gasp.

"Argh. Kestrel, stop that. Your father hasn't even ate yet." Goldfinch frowned, covering her eyes with her front talon. She ate her meal quickly, and drank a glass of water, then stood up to pick up the empty plates.

"I'm coming, my dear." Hawk said. He then took one of the plates off the table with the biggest slice and slid it into his mouth. He gulped, then brought the empty platter in the cleaning area. Kestrel and Goldfinch looked at him in shock. How did Father eat that so quickly? The dragonet wondered. She then rolled with laughter, and so did her mother. 

"Okay, okay, come on, now. Let's go to your first training!" She said. Goldfinch cleaned Kestrel's face with a towel and made her wear this thin, golden chainmail around her neck to make her look presentable in front of the generals. Kestrel didn't like it very much, but understood why it was important. Hawk also put on his gear, his armor and his horn rings. Goldfinch wore tiny ruby earrings and a golden bracelet. Once the family was ready, they headed for the exit and took off for the Sky Palace.  

The training was located in something called the 'Arena'. It was used for battle training or court sessions. It looked like a huge hole filled with sand from above, and like a sort of beach when you entered it, but without seashells, vegetation, or sticks. 

Trainings were hosted by generals or commanders, and in this case, it was this tall, slim dragon with red-greyish dull scales and a long muzzle. He was wearing shiny silver armor that was decorated with pieces of gold. The dragon also had silver chains with rubies at the end of them hanging form his ears. He sat quietly on the sandy ground, flicking his tail.