Attack Is The Best Form Of Defence

"Yesterday you didn't try to hit me, you just defended against my attacks, why?" Thor asked as they got into position across the training ground from each other.

"What would be the point? I'd have more success trying to crack that pillar over there with my bare hands."

Thor laughed, "You may be right. But attack is the best form of defence, so attack you must."

"Fine, let's get on with it then."

He spent what seemed like hours refining her stance, hand positioning and punching technique until her wrists and forearms were filled with a hot, dull ache.

"OK, now let's see what you have learned." Thor stopped in the middle of the yard, arms outstretched.

"What?" She looked at him questioningly.

"Attack me."

"Ok then. If you're sure."

She circled him slowly, not really seeing a way into the fight. She throw an off-centre punch with her weaker hand, forcing Thor to over-reach with his block. She followed it with a sharp jab to his ribs.

"Oof." Thor took a deep breath in before swinging at her. She blocked easily, dancing out of his reach as he continued to attack, though she could tell he was holding back quite a bit. Not content to defend herself for the rest of the day, she seized her opportunity and attacked again.

At some point her body realised that Thor had sped up, his defensive manoeuvres coming much earlier and his attacks with more weight behind them. Her breath was becoming laboured and an intense heat clung to her back, chest and thighs.

She saw his next attack coming, leaping forward to get between his flailing arms. But as she landed a jolt of pain shot through her knee and it crumpled beneath her. Thor's fist was coming towards her face so quickly but there was nothing she could do to stop it.

Pain was the last thing her body registered.

"Brother!" Loki yelled, anger rippling through his voice.

"I'm sorry. I thought she would block it, I don't know what happened." Thor backed away slowly from her unconscious body while Loki lifted her into his arms.

"No, no, no Annalise wake up," His eyes took in the split skin over her eyebrow and cheekbone, the pale, almost blue tint to her lips, while his fingers pressed gently against her temples. He allowed his seidr to flow freely into her, healing the visible and invisible injuries.

Her body jerked and he felt an unseen power take hold of his body in a vice-like grip, pulling his seidr from him. It stung like a whip as it tore the power from his body.

"Brother, what is happening?" Thor asked.

"I don't know," He gasped. "But I can't stop it." He groaned as he felt his reserves emptying. "She's absorbing all my power," he said breathlessly.

As suddenly as it had started, the sensation disappeared, leaving him sore and weak on the ground.

"I think you're going to need to start her training again pretty quickly brother." Thor said quietly before Loki passed out.