Ben Hanscom (June 2, 1976)

June 2, 1976
5:52 p.m

An ambulance rushed down the street, a young, screaming lady inside, clutching at her very swollen belly.

At least she looked young, but she was anything but. Her husband was the same way as her.  

Her husband was nearly two decades older than her, actually.

They were the type of soulmates who quit aging at 18. Then, once you meet your soulmate, you both start aging together. Grow old together. It was pretty romantic.

Her husband was nearly 76 years old but looked like he was in his mid-20s. Of course, she was 52, looking the same age as him.

"Arlene? Arlene!" Her husband, Jacob, screamed through the phone. "Just breathe, honey. Breathe."

"I can't!" She gasped, "he's coming early. It's too early!"

She squeezed at the nurse's hand, her husband being away in the navy. A phone call was the closest thing she'd get to him being there.

"It'll be ok. Trust me, hon'. Just try and relax."

She groaned, her back arching up as the nurses tried to hold her down.

"I'm completely relaxed!"

He chuckled, "I can see that."

She didn't even realize they stopped until the doors were pulled open. They gently rolled her out, and the next thing she knew, she was being rushed down the hall. Her doctor, Dr. Drake, was walking beside her.

"Hello, mommy to be," he turned towards the phone and spoke, "daddy to be. How are we doing."

She smiled through the pain, back arching up again, "I'm doing great. But um... Quick question."

"Anything?"

"When will this be over?"

He chuckled as she smiled a toothy grin. "Hopefully, it won't be too long."

They carted her into a room, gently transferring her over to another cot.

"How's the other side, Jacob?" He called through the phone.

"Not too shabby, if I do say so myself."

"That's great!" Arlene groaned, and the doctor turned to her, "I will have my nurses change you, then I'll be right back. They'll check all of your vitals and see how dilated you are."

She nodded, still squeezing the nurse's hand. The doctor left, and the nurses quickly checked and changed her.

A few minutes the doctor came back, checking under the blanket. "Now, Mrs. Hanscom, have you decided on a name?"

Jacob answered for her, "Benjamin Jacob Hanscom."

"Ben for short," Arlene finished with a soft smile, tears brimming her eyes.

Dr. Drake smiled, "That's a beautiful name. Now, let's begin, shall we?"

~~~~~~~