Love is a Decision

The morning sun glistened through the window. After dressing in my school uniform, I took a book in my arms. Resting my knuckle below my chin, I leisurely gazed at the preface; my mind pondering various thoughts of a word engraved on it in italics: Adore the Love.

It has always been difficult to accept a singular definition of this one word. Was it right to put love in books, I questioned. Could it be plausibly extant elsewhere? Yes. But, perhaps it could not live elsewhere like certain things. Faulkner could not be more right if that were the case.

I removed my hand from underneath my chin, and moved my fingers on the surface of the book. Slowly, I turned its pages. The disorder intrinsic to it mayhaps be a factor of the, seemingly, otherworldly-fantastical at times-capacity to remain atop attempts to bind it with logical construct.

However, an attempt is not unreasonable. After all, isn't there always reason in madness, too? I let out a short chuckle. Of course, I could not be certain; it would not be the first time Nietzsche was proven wrong.

Placing a bookmark in order to resume reading upon a later time, I closed the book. I placed it in my bag, and ensuring everything was in proper order, left off for school.

On my way outside of the dormitory, I saw Ike-kun and Shinohara-san walking together closely. It wasn't an unusual sight. Seeing it, I was reminded of that time in the spring vacation.

The two clearly love each other-if I could say it-which has been made clear over the past few months. Different experiences in multitudes. To listen to words eloquently uttered is like reading if one closes their eyes; though not for me. Like that, like the beauty of music, love might be the woods you walk through. A few do not understand their affection, I have been told, but as someone once said that they love each other which is why, perhaps, they love each other through their shortcomings.

Is loving a species of disinterested concern for the well-being of the beloved?

I took another look at them and let them be. A few other students were similarly walking to their own destinations. I, too, went to my classroom, treading my shadow into the pavement. Walking along I could feel the coolness permeating the surroundings. Flowing around, not suffocating, and neither nursing the stones. There was plenty of time for classes to start, and I was used to that.

I entered the classroom; it was unsurprisingly, nearly vacant. I went on, slipping through the spaces between the seats to my own. Placing down my bag, I sat down. It was cold. But hardly cold enough to be querulous.

I continued reading the book from where I placed the bookmark. Time ticked away, bringing with it many other of my classmates. The chatter was not quite loud. As I looked up from my book, slightly distracted, my ears picked up some words. Girlfriends; girlfriends. They talked around it.

Rocking my head, I absentmindedly stared through the pages. The words pass through transparently. Well, I got to thinking about a certain couple. Ayanokōji-kun and Karuizawa-san. It was a slight surprise, but I could say it is another of Ayanokōji-kun's mysteries. Mysteries that have been slowly shedding itself. It was both interesting and eerie to grasp it.

The relationship, was it different from benevolence? One could argue, about love, that it was distinct from benevolence-the impartial forms of it at the very least. That couldn't be refuted, or perhaps Ryūen-kun would be the farthest thing from the reification of kindness if one threw this proposition in his face.

Then, does it mean including oneself personally and directly into the well-being of others? It would have to be a relevant element that the individual has to one contributing. For benevolence which is straightforward, it might not matter who is the person doing the act. As long as it is done, that is what matters. If I propose this to Ichinose-san, surely she would confidently agree. I shook my head. Not that I would muster the courage to actually do it.