Chapter 14: Intruder

It was dusk by the time Kira and the Bad Batch returned to the hotel for the night. All but Tech, who insisted that he wanted to move the Havoc Marauder closer to the hotel instead of leaving it in the woods. So he made the extra long walk to reach the shuttle and flew it back, landing behind the Spire's Mist. It didn't exactly hide it but it was at least within emergency reach.

Rose was kind enough to treat them all to another dinner. Kira felt bad that she had to keep making large meals but the Twi'lek didn't seem to mind. In fact, she was flattered to be able to share her recipes with men who never had a home cooked meal in probably ever.

After dinner, she headed upstairs to her bedroom. The clones had some work to do on their shuttle but assured Kira they could handle it. Whether they didn't want to be a bother or just wanted some space, she took the message and disappeared into her room for now.

Outside at the ship, while Hunter was still inside helping with after dinner clean-up, Wrecker had gathered the rest by the Marauder to tell him his master plan to get Hunter and Kira together. "So what do you think? I bet once we get Hunter and Kira alone, they are sure to see they're meant to be!"

"Oddly strong assumption since they just met." Tech was the first to disagree with Wrecker, being he didn't like the whole plan to begin with. Get Hunter and Kira together? Why? What was wrong with keeping things the way they were? He hasn't even been able to research proper flirting techniques yet!

Echo did agree with Tech, but for a different reason. "If Hunter and Kira are meant to be, then why rush them along? Relationships take time and they did just meet. Give them time to blossom."

Crosshair played with a fresh toothpick in his mouth. "You already know how I think about Kira. Her being closer to us? Enough said."

Wrecker frowned at being shot down already. "Well...maybe we could try? What's the worst that could happen?"

"What's the worst that can happen if we try what, Wrecker?" Hunter approached the group, eyeing them all as if they were kids trying to do exactly what their parents told them not to do.

Wrecker scrambled for an excuse. "We're uh...planning a surprise birthday party for you! Oh, uh, but you didn't hear that from me!"

Hunter raised a brow, knowing that was a lie before Echo facepalmed and Crosshair walked away with his "so done" attitude. "Right...except we don't have birthdays, being we were created. And none of us have ever celebrated something like this before so...what is really going on?"

Tech adjusted his goggles. "It's something rather ridiculous, trust me. I suggest we start repairing the ship as that is a much more urgent matter, don't we all agree?" No one said otherwise, not that he gave much time for anyone to speak, so he continued from there. "Good. Echo, I need you checking the wiring system inside under the main steering. Wrecker, get the panel off the back engine so Hunter and I can check the damage from the lasers. And Crosshair...keep watch on the area around us since it's dark."

Crosshair did a mocking salute. "Sir, yes sir." He had no idea why Tech was in charge but he took his rifle and climbed the nearest tree to play lookout. Easier than shuttle repairs.

Hunter watched everyone disperse to do what Tech assigned them. When it came to his ship, he could be a bit bossy. Hunter let it slide, knowing that it kept the Marauder in top shape due to Tech's care. Whatever everyone was going on about before at least seemed to be forgotten about. Better working on the ship versus doing the other probably stupid and dangerous idea.

He went to fetch some tools and looked up to see a figure watching them from the third story window. It was Kira no doubt, as she shrunk back at seeing him notice her. He offered a small wave and saw her wave back before moving away from the window. He had to bite back a smile and resorted back to digging through the tool box for what the repair may need.