Chapter 1: Call of the Raven

Jay finished his training with Vernal, who he enjoyed working along side. Why his mother had her posing as the spring maiden he didn't know, but he saw no reason to ask. He had been informed that this mother wanted to see him when she returned from a mission she was on. He knew she'd be fine and was looking for something to do.
???: "Jay! Where have you been man?"
Jay immediately recognized that voice and gave a small smile. It was his childhood friend Xavier.
Jay: "The usual. Training then cleaning my blades." Xavier had a huge grin.
Xavier: "So I heard that the boss has huge plans for you. Do you know what they are?"
Jay: "Boss tells me what she needs to when I am in the need to know."
Xavier: "Well whatever they are, it's driving Liz and Tera up the wall. You know how they get when you're away."
Jay dropped the smile and sighed. How could he forget? After all, they were both smitten with him. He would spend time with them when he could but always made a point to tell them that the raids and missions were the most important. It was for the tribe's survival and the tribe has always come first. But he enjoyed their company and respected their abilities. His mother instilled in him the importance of survival and family. To never be over reliant on his weapon or semblance, to understand and study both opponents and terrain, to retreat if necessary, and that strength and cunning were everything. He and Raven were extremely close but acted professionally in front of the tribe. Not that it meant much as the tribe respected him as they would Raven.
Jay: "I'll have a talk with them after my meeting. I assume you have a task that must be done?" Xavier nodded with a gloomy expression. "Then you should get to it." Xavier left as Jay continued further into the camp. The recent raids that he and Vernal led were successful with no causalities. Vernal approached him and smiled.
Vernal: "She has returned! She's in her tent now. She asked to speak with you alone." Jay nodded and thank Vernal as he ran to Raven's tent.

Jay:(Outside her tent) "Boss may I come in?"
Raven: "You may." Jay enters and sees her removing her helmet. They silently enjoy a moment together as they embrace in a hug.
Jay: "Good to see you again mother." She smiles as her eyes gleam with pride.
Raven: "You have made everyone so proud. There's talk that one day you'll be in charge of the tribe."
Jay: "One day at a time." They sat down across from each other. "I was told you have an assignment for me." She nods. "Another raid?" She shakes her head. "An assassination?" She shakes her head again.
Raven: "I will tell you what it is in a moment. That being said, there's quite a lot I have to reveal to you..." For a brief moment, Raven appeared to hesitate before reaching for a photograph. She hands it to her son letting him examine it.
Jay: "You have told me about him. Your brother Qrow." She frowns at the mention of his name but nods. "I am not familiar with them blonde man or the smiling woman in the white hooded cape."
Raven: "I haven't told you about much of my old life but...I think now is the time to tell you everything..." She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath before continuing. "Back when I was a student at Beacon Academy, when I was young and naive, I was part of a team. We were the best Beacon had to offer. The man with this arm around me is Taiyang Xiao Long. The woman was Summer Rose." Sadness flickered in her eyes for a second before it quickly faded. "I was at one time, married to Tai but in the end it didn't work out. He tried to convince me to leave the tribe. I wanted him to come with me but he chose Beacon. I left the ring he gave me with him and left in the night..." She paused to see if her son had anything to say. When he said nothing she continued. "I later learned he was heartbroken. In trying to console him, Summer and him fell in love and had a daughter." Jay nodded sensing the biggest news was yet to come. Raven shifted uncomfortably. "A few years later, Summer went on a mission and never returned. It's assumed she died. Well...before all that, Tai and I had a daughter..." Jay's eyes widened and has jaw dropped. He couldn't believe it. He had a half sister that he never knew about. And a step sister considering Tai and Summer had a girl. She hands him another picture. It's of a young girl giving the camera a huge grin. She had long blonde hair and purple eyes.
Jay: "This...this is...my sister?" He looked at his mother and she nodded a saddened look of guilt across her face. "Why wait so long to tell me this? Why tell me at all?"
Raven: "I waited this long because I wanted to prioritize teaching you what I thought was more critical at the time. And I tell you now for two reasons. The first being you deserve to know and the second being it is relevant to your next mission. I'm sorry that I selfishly kept that to myself, Jay. I'll answer whatever questions you have for me if I can." Jay crossed his arms and closed his eyes. So many questions ran through his mind. Raven waited patiently and silently. He was quiet for several minutes before opening his eyes and speaking
Jay: "How old would Yang be now?"
Raven: "17"
Jay: "Do you keep in touch with her or Tai?"
Raven: "I used to watch them from afar. Now they are strong enough so I see no need."
Jay: "You said this knowledge is relevant to my mission. What's the correlation between the two?"
Raven: "I want you to become a student at Beacon." He couldn't believe what he was hearing.
Jay: "Wait what?! But didn't you leave Beacon?"
Raven: "I did. I want you to do recon work. See what they're doing and what Ozpin is hiding. He is the headmaster. As to what this mission has to do with Yang, she will also be attending Beacon. If you would like to meet her this is your chance."
Jay nodded understanding now. He looked into her eyes.
Jay: "If Yang asks about you?"
Raven: "You may tell her about me but not our location. You can't tell anyone our location. I know this is much to think about so I will give you time..." Jay raises his hand to stop her. He gives a small smile.
Jay: "I don't need to think it over. I accept."
Raven smiles as the two embrace once more. She tells him that next week he will leave for Beacon. She gives him an earpiece with a special button on the side for emergencies. Days seemed to fly by and before he knew it, it was time for this mission to commence. After heartfelt goodbyes to everyone and a final talk with Raven, he set off to the closest terminal to take him to Beacon.

After entering the flying craft that would take him to Beacon, he looked around at all the other students who would be joining him. He had thoughts of looking for his sister but thought better of it for now. He almost walked into a blonde boy who was vomiting into a trashcan.
Boy: "Ugh...so sorry." Jay patted his back.
Jay: "No harm done." The boy smiled a little and gave a thumbs up. The heard a brief commotion as a blonde girl was running from a girl in a red hooded cape. He knew immediately it was Yang from her lilac eyes and blonde hair.
Yang: "Ew! Gross gross gross gross gross!"
Ruby: "Get away Yang! Get away!" He shook his head and walked away. There would be plenty of time to meet her. For now he focused on his position in relation to the other students. After a brief message from a woman calling herself professor Goodwitch, mention the importance of them being future huntsmen.

He watched them from afar when suddenly Ruby pulled out an enormous scythe. Maybe it would be good to study them. Before he could Yang left Ruby with a small crowd of people, presumably friends. He watched a pale girl who was upset about Ruby tripping over her stuff. The pale girl was yelling about dust, leading to a brief argument between the two girls until a third girl with black hair and a large black bow appeared and seemed to say something that made the pale girl leave in anger. Realizing that it would waste valuable time that could be better spent, Jay decided to explore Beacon. With it being a huge school, the sooner he surveyed the area the easier a time he would have.  He quickly accessed it would take two to three days for him to explore the school till her was as familiar with it as he was his two blades. He noticed a redhead girl walking to what was presumably the building they would rest at until their initiation. Normally he'd let her go on about her business, but he sensed she was stronger than the others. She is worth studying. There is a huge possibility she and I will frequent the same classes after all he thought to himself. He approached her in a calm manner as to not frighten her.
Jay: "Excuse me miss?" The girl turned to face him. She politely smiled.
Redhead: "Yes? How do you do?" He knew right away she was intelligent. She had a certain gleam in her green eyes. He had a feeling she was assessing him to. He would expect as much from someone he deemed beyond competent. He offer a smile of his own. One of the things mother taught was adapt quickly and the was sure he knew how to benefit from this interaction.
Jay: "I apologize for bothering you but could you show me where we're supposed to go? I was so taken by the view that I didn't catch what the professor said." She chuckled.
Redhead: "I'd be happy to. Don't worry, you aren't bothering me." Jay smiled and relaxed more.
Jay: "I'm glad. My name is Jay. Jay Branwen. And you are?"
Redhead: "Pyrrha Nikos. A pleasure to meet you Jay." They shook hands and began walking. They talked about a variety of topics from Pyrrha's fame, which much to her joy he didn't recognize her, to their respective lives. He only told her about growing up in a huge family. She knew from the way he carried himself and from how well taken care of his weapons were that he was quite skilled. They quickly turned to the topic of their respective training regiments. Both of them wanting to have a training match but knew it couldn't be done today. Shortly, they arrived at the meet-up point. They shook hands, thanked each other, and waited for the headmaster to arrive. He noticed Yang, Ruby, and the pale girl talking. The headmaster, named Ozpin who has mother warned him to be very weary of, gave a speech that he actually agreed with. They would learn far more from survival scenarios than they ever would academia he thought to himself. He left to the huge hall where all the students would prepare for the huge test awaiting them. He decided to meditate then clean his weapons, which was rather relaxing to him, then sleep. He easily ignored the loud confrontation between his sister and the pale girl and mentally prepared for whatever test lied tomorrow. He knew failure wasn't an option not when his mother was counting on him...

Author's notes: Hello dear reader. As you are no doubt aware, I decided to start a story I have planned for a while now. This will cover volume 1 but fear not, as it will continue past volume 1. I hope you enjoy!