Chapter Two : Fragments Of Him

Y/n's  POV

I sit outside his office, nervously shaking my leg, his secretary occasionally looking up at me with a questioning glance. I try to shake off the feeling that she might know my circumstances, she is his secretary after all. Minutes pass by, I grow more annoyed than I am anxious.

I look down at the coffee table amongst the chairs in the waiting area just before his office. I pick up a magazine from the top of a fanned out pile, looking at the image before me.

 I pick up a magazine from the top of a fanned out pile, looking at the image before me

I scoff, what a douche.

"He'll see you  now." His secretary speaks with her ear pressed to the phone, clearly multitasking.

I walk through the doors to his luxurious, but tackily decorated office. I hate being here.

I take the moment before he realizes my presence to take in the depth of the awful decor, in the right corner sat his desk, on the left closer to the door was a lounge area, my go-to spot whenever I come in. Along the walls were framed pop art style illustrations of his most grossing characters to date. I feel my eyes twitch at the bright colors, lacking any nuance or feeling. The twitch turns to the feeling of static, his choice in art is truly violating to the pupils. I blink several times, trying to shrug off the sensation, stepping further into the room which seems to gather his attention away from his desk.

"Y/n! So glad you had time to come see me this morning before you go to set. I want to say, I saw the performance you gave last night, and I must say, it was spectacular." He gleams, proud of his work.

"Well you are the one that made me do it, so glad you're happy with who I was last night." I roll my eyes.

"I know you aren't happy with this little charade, but I promise by the time you're done, you'll be a big star." I cringe at the last two words, that's not what I want, and he knows it.

"I never wanted to be a 'big star', I started acting because I enjoyed telling stories." I try to plead my case.

"I know, but think of it this way; all you're doing is telling a longer version of a story, an extension of your character-" He starts.

My brows furrow quickly, "The asshole playing the asshole??" I shake my head in disbelief.

"You know why I had to put you in that role!" He closes his eyes for a moment, almost sorry for his part in all of this.

"You can't collect stereotypes like we're pokemon, I'm sure no other actor down there right now-" I stomp over toward the window, pointing down to all the buildings of studios, "are being told they have to pretend to be someone they aren't solely to create a narrative." I clench my jaw, ready for his excuses.

"You're right, everyone else down there is just themselves, we have genuinely good people playing heroes, good-natured souls playing villains, hateful individuals in the roles of kind-hearted people. And the media loves to spin those narratives, it gets them talking about the movies and brings the actor some recognition, and as much as I hate it, I knew this narrative would get people talking more than ever."

"You would just rather control the story so that the real one won't come out." I keep my eyes locked on his, a silence falls over the room.

I wouldn't be too keen on the truth about who I am coming out, it might ruin my career, it would definitely halt the influx of cash that I need, and it would cause all sorts of trouble for the people I love. I didn't mind keeping it all a secret, it allows me to live the life I want to live, but what I don't care for is the false identity Tony Stark has made for me.

Tony Stark isn't a bad person for the record, he's a jerk at times, self-centered, self-serving, self-indulgent, self-obsessed, all about himself, but he's not a bad guy. At least I won't allow myself to see him that way, because if I think that way then I know I'm way worse. I've seen fragments of Tony Stark in me all my life, even before I knew the truth.

"I'm not ashamed of the truth, Y/n, if that's what you're thinking, but the world doesn't need to know everything about our lives." He puts a comforting hand on my shoulder, and a part of me wants to fall into his arms, but I don't allow myself to. I nod, backing away.

"Can someone show me around the set this morning before my call time?" I ask, remembering that all the promotional footage that we shot was done offsite, as far away from everyone as possible. Tony wanted my first major public appearance to be a shock to everyone, even the people I was supposed to work side by side with for the next several months. He has a thing for theatrics.

"Lucky for you, I have some time before my first meeting, so I can show you myself." He smiles.

"Please, God, no." I mutter under my breath as he puts his hands on my shoulders and leads me out of his office, past his secretary's desk and down the hall toward the elevator.

As we pull up to studio 6, we get out of the golf cart and stroll inside, watching as crew members assemble sets and rig lighting. Connor is waiting for us at craft services, eating an overflowing bagel.

"There you two are!" He perks up, "Here-" He hands me a script, one that I already have memorized, but he knows I have a tendency to freeze during a scene when I get nervous. "You have about an hour before we start shooting your first scenes for the day, meaning you might need to run by wardrobe and hair and makeup in the next few minutes." He reminds me, I look down at my watch realizing how long Tony took driving around explaining where things were.

"But first, I need to introduce you to some cast members-" Tony starts, pointing over toward Wanda Maximoff, Yelena Belova and Natasha Romanoff, who are hanging out together despite all working on different movies.

"No no no-" I turn around, ready to run.

"Conner told me you're a big fan of Wanda's?" Tony asks, surprised at my turning away.

"I am! I love her movies!" I whisper shout, pulling them both into a quiet corner.

"More like she loves her-" Conner begins to mutter before I flash him a  glance that silences him immediately.

"Then what's the problem?" Tony asks again.

"I would love to meet her if I was actually me, but I'm not. I'm still playing the asshole I was last night when I hijacked an awards show!" I mutter out quickly, knowing that unless Tony hadn't almost blackmailed me into doing the performance, I would never in a million years do something so self-indulgent. It's almost as if he enjoys bringing out his own personality traits within me.

"But it went over so well, people loved you! The internet can't get enough of you-" Tony reassures me.

Conner pulls out his phone "Look-" Showing Tony and I his screen with a photo of me from the red carpet last night, "They are calling you 'Wolf Daddy'" I grimace, feeling bile wanting to escape my throat. "I think Scream Queen was also in the running, but apparently this name was more fuckable." Conner smiles, but I see Tony's face contort in the same nauseous feeling I am residing in.

"No, nope, no. Stop talking." I push Conner's phone away. "No more talking about my 'fuckability' either of you! That's so not appropriate conversation for us!" I whisper shout.

They both nod.

"Let me at least introduce you to Yelena, you'll be working with her on the movie anyways, you playing romantic interests remember-" Tony hums over the last few words, wanting to avoid the topic.

"I'll see her today on set, we aren't shooting any of our scenes till tomorrow anyways. I'll have plenty of time to get to know her-" I narrow my eyes at him, "At my own pace."

Tony sighs, nodding his head once again and leaving Conner and I in the corner.

"Wardrobe." He reminds me.

"Right." I sigh.

---

A/N

Are you team 'Wolf Daddy' or team 'Scream Queen' ?