Chapter One - the race

Thirteen months after Kaden was born, I showed up on a warm June evening. This came as a big surprise for two reasons: One, because I was a month early. And two, because they thought I was a boy. Eadlyn, my older sibling, was extremely disappointed and still hasn't gotten over it. She wanted to remain "Daddy's only girl." However, Ahren and Kaden adored me because they knew they didn't have to share their toys with me.
Mom tells me that during my time in the NICU, she was an emotional wreck, to say the least. She was dealing with three young kids and one on life support. She and dad were also handling rebel outbreaks, so ya, stressful. Grams, Aunt May, Miss Marlee, and Auntie Lucy all helped mom and loved getting to hold me in the hospital.
Once I was out of the NICU, things got calmer and I got cooler. Apparently Ahren loved to hold me, Eadlyn wanted nothing to do with me, and Kaden tried to play trucks with me. Dad was very protective (and still to this day) of me. I think it is because I am the youngest, and a girl, but I don't know why.

Anyways, to the present.

I woke up to a warm, dewy day. Yawning, I throw the covers off and run to my bathroom. It is Tuesday, which means it is race day. Since forever, Kaden and I have had a race to see who makes it to breakfast the quickest (every Tuesday). I typically win, and I am determined to not lose the streak.
I am rushing and totally forget to brush my curly blonde hair. Donning a yellow blouse and jeans, I run to the door with my kitten heels in hand. Kaden is two doors down from me and he slams it open. We make eye contact, and then run to the staircase. This is a time when my short legs don't come to my aid.
"I am gaining!" He says. I can hear the smirk.
Ah shit. As we reach the second staircase he catches me. No! Only one to go.  I make an annoyed grunt. And then I have an idea.
I make myself trip down a step. Enough to make me fall, but no damage.
"Owww!" I exclaim, totally faking it.
Kaden turns around and his eyes widen. "Oh shit Lace. Are you okay?" He rushes up to wear I "fell."
Once he crouches down to my level, I jump up and continue my sprint.
I hear him yell, "Oh no you did not." I laugh. I got him.
Two guards open the dining hall doors and I skip to my seat. Close behind, Kaden says, "That was pure cheating. And you know it."
I responded, "No one said manipulation was cheating."
He rolls his eyes and just then mom and dad roll in.
"Who won this morning?" Dad asked with a glimmer of competition in his eyes.
"Me of course."
Kaden rolls his eyes. "No you did not! You cheated."
Mom looks at me and asks, "How can you cheat on a race down the stairs?"
"Well let me tell you. She pretended she fell. And, like the caring and compassionate brother I am, I was worried. I went back up to make sure she was okay. When I crouched down next to her, she jumped up and bolted down the stairs."
"Leaving you in the dust." I add.
Dad laughs out loud. Winking at me, mom says, "Well, that was manipulative, but smart."
Then Ahren and Eady walk in.
"Good morning you two, how did you sleep?" Mom beams.
Ahren kisses mom's cheek. "Great! Ooh! Who won?"
With a triumphant grin, I retell the story.
After my telling, Eadlyn pipes in saying, "Such a silly little game. Who cares?"
"Well I care because I enjoy having fun. Try it sometime." I retort.
"Girls, settle down." Dad warns. Kaden and Ahren had smirks. They knew I was right. Mom scowls at us both and puts a strawberry tart on her plate.
I don't know why Eady and I never get along. Maybe it is because we are both jealous of each other. She is flawless, beautiful, and really smart. I think she despises me because I am also dad's daughter. Or maybe because she doesn't want to be queen. I don't know. I just wish she didn't hate me so much.
Mom and Dad have tried to repair our weird relationship, but they don't know what to do. I just keep my distance from her, and she from me. At least I am close with Kaden and Ahren.
"Lacey, sweetheart. I need to talk to you after breakfast, okay?" Dad says. He is cutting his omelet placidly. 
I tried to read his tone, but he was hiding any emotion very well.
Kaden nudged me. With his eyes he basically said, "What did you do?" Ahren joined our wordless conversation as well.
I mouth, "math." They nod their heads in understanding.
I have always been simply wretched at math. Ahren has tried to help me numerous times, but it just doesn't stick. Anyways, the last two times I have had math lessons, I kind of haven't shown up.
Last Monday, I chose to go to the gardens instead. And yesterday I chose to hang out with Aunt Lucy. She doesn't know my tutoring schedule, so I connived her into tea in the Women's room. Uncle Aspen might know about it though, him being the head guard and all. Shoot! Why didn't I think of that. Innocently, Aunt Lucy went home and told him about her day. And he probably said, "Wait, don't all the kids have math lessons at noon on Monday?"
Real smart, Lace. 
I know my tutor didn't rat me out though, because I contracted an agreement with him: if he doesn't tell my parents when I don't show up to lessons, I will give him any book he wants from the library. It works because, unsurprisingly, he is a bookworm.
This is bad for two reasons. One, mom and dad are not going to be happy. And two, sweet Aunt Lucy is probably going to blame herself. I made a mental note to call her after my talk with dad.
Oh well, here we go.