Chapter 7

Twilight was once again pacing around in a panic. I may not be the smartest, but I at least know that you can't think straight when under pressure. I rolled my eyes as she muttered to herself about defenses and attacks.

"Hey Twi, let's go for a fly," I said. She glared at me and sighed.

"I was muttering to myself again, wasn't I?" she asked.

"Twi, you always mutter to yourself when stressed. I don't know about you, but when I'm stressed, I like to go for a fly,"

"You're right, Dash. I should relax some. Let's go for a fly,"

I could feel in my feathers the bitterly cold wind as we flew. Due to the increase in the production of armor and food for the soldiers, much of Equestria's wildlife has become depleted. Most of the nature that was once there is now dirt or ash. The only wildlife that remains is the Everfree forest. The air quality has also been suffocating. Many pegasi don't fly for fun anymore due to safety and air pollution. I sighed. 

"The first snow of the year has come," Twilight said as she paused momentarily to enjoy the falling of the flakes. 

"I'm surprised winter is still on schedule," I scoffed. 

"Dash, do you think there will be an end to this?" she asked. 

"Twilight, I'm not sure of anything at the moment. I can only move forward, though, and remain in hope. I believe we have a chance, but that's if every pony fill's their role," she sighed. 

"Hearts Warming is approaching, and our country is anything but that," she said. 

"Hey, things may not look the best right now, but I have faith in you, Twilight. I always have, and I will always be, there for you if you need me," I smiled warmly. I hate being sappy, but I was being honest. Especially with Twilight's high stress, the last thing she needs is to be discouraged. That's the last thing Equestria needs is to lose hope. 

"Thanks," she returned the smile. We continued with our flight, examining the outside world while we could and noticing damages. I sensed uneasiness. I stopped dead in my tracks, scouting everywhere. I glanced at the mountain near us, the ground below, and behind us, but I saw nothing. 

"What's wrong, Dash?" she asked. 

"Nothing, it seems," I said. My brain was on full alert. "I think we should head back. We are rather far from the castle," Twilight nodded in agreement. I saw out of the corner of my eye was an archer pony. I could see from his angle that he was after us. The following sound of a piercing whistle sent me to flight mode. 

"Twilight, look out!"