what could've been (and what could be)

a/n: based on your bbrae dream <3

Raven Roth lived a simple life. Aside from fighting supervillains, dealing with magic and demons, keeping her supernatural powers in control, living with an alien, a metahuman shape-shifter— Anyway.

It was common knowledge that Raven Roth lived a simple, unambiguous life. Aside from all the chaos and drama happening around her, she herself had a very quiet and straightforward personal life.

All the things that happen in her daily life follow the same schedule as usual. Superhero-ing had also been part of her routine from quite some time now, although crimes had decreased as they slowly grew older. The major super villains were defeated, or on hiatus, leaving the battlefield for petty criminals; but those fights didn't really last long, the Titans usually handled them in pairs, or sometimes even solo instead of the whole team bursting in together. In other words, crime-fighting was not really as big of a deal as it used to be.

Back to the point, Raven lived a rhythmic, uncomplicated, almost boring life. Plain. Unsophisticated. Black and White.

But, that was, until a tiny drop of grey... or rather green, appeared seemingly out of nowhere on her canvas, smudging her simple monochromic painting into a whirlwind of unforeseen situations, surprises... and emotions.

Raven had to admit, (rather shamefully; being an empath after all), that she had not seen it coming. But honestly, no one could blame her. Not a single person, themselves included, would ever imagine that Raven, the unfeeling and creepy one, would ever feel anything (except annoyance) towards the resident green comic relief guy.

It started happening gradually, slowly... almost at a non-existent pace. She couldn't pin-point when it happened, or how, for that matter, but unknown to everyone, something unexpected and sweet had happened.

But, it wasn't even all that imperceptible. It had started out with small, subtle gestures.

Sometimes lowering the volume of the TV or getting headphones whenever she entered the room. Or a cup of tea waiting for her at the counter after an excessively tiresome battle; with cute little uplifting notes in his squiggly handwriting, which always made her smile. Sure, they were considerate yet small gestures, but slowly, unbeknown to either of them, they were creating some big emotions.

And then, just... poof!

One day, he was Beast Boy, the annoying, jokester roommate who always got on her last nerve, and then the other, he was Gar Logan, her best friend, a person whom she could share everything comfortably with. Someone who brought her warmth and made her feel things she'd never felt.

Once, on his 19th birthday, Raven had even gone as far as to try and kiss him, her best friend; but she learned, with a rush of relief and warmth, that he was happy to comply.

After many, many stolen glances and discreet reddening of faces, both of them realized that the state of their relationship was... complicated, to say the least.

Nothing was official, but one thing the both of them knew, and were sure of, was that they really liked each other. It didn't matter as to what the label of their relationship was, as long as both of them would stay together.

But, that was 4 years ago.

Raven let out a tired sigh, tucking her now long hair behind her ears as she shifted in her seat on the bench.

The sun was shining brightly above her. She was on the open lands of the Jump City public park, though there were comparatively less people even though it was a pleasant sunny morning.