Chapter 2 - Stead, Bow, Scroll

"What?!" Gold exclaims, her golden eyes lighting up. "Were there no guards stationed?"

Haidy hangs his head under Gold's fury. "There were, Your Majesty, but they seemed to have poisoned the guards and escaped. We don't know where the poison is from- they might have managed to contact someone, with the help of spies inside the castle."

Funneh frowns. "They must not have gotten far, not in their weakened state. Gold, I can go after them-"

"No, Funneh. We need your help routing the attack routes. We have to try and rescue Draco as soon as possible, before Lady Jane tries any more weird tactics." Gold sighs, running a hand through her hair. "Alec and Kyran have to stay as well, to rally up the troops and count the casualties."

Silence falls, and Gold looks around helplessly. I try to catch her eyes, try to nonverbally communicate that I can do it, but she doesn't even look at me. Like the idea of me tracking down 3 criminals isn't even thinkable.

Gold shakes her head. "Ugh, no, those three aren't important right now. What we need to focus on is-"

"I can do it," I whisper, only to find that my throat has suddenly gone dry.

"...What?" Gold looks at me in alarm. "Rainbow, no, you can't! You have no idea how unsafe that forest is-"

"I can do it," I repeat, stronger this time. "Our soldiers are depleted enough after the battle, and all our Generals are needed back here. I know nothing about mapping routes, or rally troops, or counting casualties, so I should go be useful and at least take care of this problem." I try to smile, softening my voice. "Trust me, Gold. I'll be fine."

"I think Rainbow can do it," Funneh says with a reassuring pat on my shoulder, but I can feel the tension in her hands. "Lady Jane's new hideout is on the opposite side of where those three escaped to, and the east of Krewdom is usually deserted, save for a few merchants. There are no hostile clans there either."

I'm shocked. I haven't even thought about the geography of where I'm going, only that I wanted to be useful and prove that even though I can't handle being the queen, I can still handle normal missions.

Gold looks torn and looks to Lunar for help, but she's looking at me with a small smile. "I agree with Funneh. Rainbow's gone out by herself before, with me, and I think she'll be fine on her own."

Gold sighs. "Alright, fine. You can take my stead," she pats the mare beside her. "Queen has excellent intuition and will get you out of any sticky situation."

"Take my sword too," Funneh says, pulling it out with a shnng.

I impulsively stagger back a step. "Um, it's okay, Funneh. I know how important that sword is to you."

"Take these, then," Funneh says, handing me a slightly worn leather bow and a quiver of arrows.

I give them a skeptical look, but accept the gift. Even if I don't catch the criminals, at least I'd learn to use a bow and quiver. Quite impressive, if you ask me.

"Here," Lunar says, cupping her hands together. A moment later, two identical parchment papers appear. "Take one, and whatever you write on there will appear on the other parchment. Let us know once you find them, and we can send soldiers to capture them."

"How magical," I say, always in awe of her powers. I turn and swing myself up on Queen, hoping no one notices my trembling knees. I've only ridden a horse a handful of times, and it's weird being so tall. "Well, I guess this is goodbye," I say awkwardly.

The soldiers who were not-so-secretly eavesdropping on us bows. "We wish you luck, Princess Rainbow."

Jeez, they're acting like I'm on my way to battle an Emerald Dragon.

"You better return in one piece," Funneh says with a wink. "I still need to learn how to bake cupcakes."

I force out a laugh. "I'll send a message as soon as I find them. Try not to miss me too much!" Hoping for a dramatic exit, I tug lightly on the reins. Instead of speeding off as I'd hoped, Queen walks backward a few steps, whining in confusion.

"Uh, here," Alec says, tapping against Queen's flank, behind where her pack of supplies is strapped. Instantly, she speeds off, and I barely have time to wave frantically before I'm galloping across the bridge to the forest.

And just like that, paired with my new stead, arrow, and scroll, I embark on my first adventure away from the castle.

。。。

My muscles ache like I've been riding for a week straight, but it's only been a few hours. I shift for the thousandth time, and Queen flicks her tail, sensing my discomfort.

"Sorry, Queen." I lean down to give her a reassuring pat. "It's not you, it's definitely me."

To pass the time, I've tried humming, counting the rocks on the ground (I'm at 2021), and attempting to raise my eyebrow (I've never quite mastered it like Gold). And now I'm apparently talking to animals.

Queen snorts, and I have the craziest thought that she thinks I'm amusing. A grin slips out.

"You're probably wondering why you crazy Aunt Rainbow is dragging you into the dark forest. Well, we're on a secret mission," I whisper the last words, "to track down three dangerous criminals who have killed thousands." I pause. "Actually, I'm not sure if they've ever killed anyone. I only know that they tried to kidnap Gold. Gravia is also supposed to be my godmother, according to Gold. And her friends, Trevor and Hunter, are pretty dumb. But they also poured that scary thing down Gold's throat- you don't think they have access to that anymore, do you?"

Queen snorts and shakes her mane again.

"Anyway, we are the sole people- person and animal- who can track those criminals down. In order to do so, we must endure the wild winds of the East Mountains, defend against greedy merchants out to steal what measly food we have in our pack," my stomach growls, "and survive long enough to find Gravia and crew." My grin turns grim. "Not hard at all."

Queen winnies, and I take it as a sign of encouragement. "You're right, they probably aren't very fit and healthy, since they just escaped from prison. I just need to stall them long enough for Krewdom to send a troop, and we'll return home as heroes!"

2022nd rock, I note, then do a double-take. That's a very furry and orange rock.

Pulling on Queen's reins gently, she eases into a stop. I hop off on unsteady legs and approach the furry rock. It's longer than I thought, stretching into the bush.

Curiosity gets the better of me, and I pry the bush open—then jump back with a yelp.

A bloody fox stares up at me through slitted eyes.