1: Pinewood Academy

PROLOGUE

Taeyong stands with his fingers curled around the handle of his luggage,  gazing up at the grey-brick building before him. Cathedral-like pillars point towards the sky and stretch across an open, green lawn surrounding the building. It's bigger than the pictures online could've ever done justice and more regal, too, somehow - like it isn't meant to be touched. Like it isn't meant to be tainted. Like the moment he steps foot into Pinewood, things will undoubtedly change.

A hand clamps over his shoulder as Taeyong's stomach churns, and he looks down, swallowing the cotton ball in his throat. The crick in his neck he'd gotten from staring up so long worsens when he glances back to his dad. His father rounds him and massages his shoulder a little in that reassuring way he always does to ground him. Right now, Taeyong knows the action's more for his dad than anything else, too. He's nervous on his behalf, the smile he gives his son wary and angular, without that light behind his eyes. Taeyong smiles back to let him know he's got this. He's not going to let his nerves show if they affect his dad. Plus, he doesn't want his scholarship revoked out of the worry that he can't do this. He can - he knows he can.

"You okay, Yong? It's giant, isn't it? But it's the best sports academy out here, I promise."

"I know.. it's just," Taeyong starts, trailing off before he shakes his head and forces another smile. "Bigger than I expected? But that means bigger pitches too, so it's fine."

His dad smiles down at him and squeezes his shoulder again. "I know you want to see the soccer pitches now, but don't get ahead of yourself. We have to meet the principal first."

Taeyong nods as his dad urges him to go inside, pulling Taeyong's suitcase away from him. They lug it past the open door, gazing at the Victorian style architecture and high-brow windows. For some reason, he'd expected the inside to look more modern, but that notion's been shattered. It looks at least 100 years old - in style, not in strength. It can definitely still hold its weight. So instead, he discards the thought and takes it for what it is, heart pounding against his ribs as he heads towards two men in the centre, waiting for them - one in a suit and the other in a shoddy tracksuit, a whistle hung low around his neck. Taeyong straightens up, widening his shoulders and tilting his chin up to face the principal and, most importantly, his coach; retired Alpha premier league soccer player, Lee Kangin. Taeyong's knees wobble as he walks, but he keeps himself as straight as he possibly can. He bows next to his dad when they reach both the principal and the coach.

"Ah, Lee Taeyong. You've arrived. We've been waiting for you. I'm Mr Kim," the principal greets, and Taeyong nods in return, hands tied politely behind his back. The principal's a burly, almost scentless Beta, with thinning hair, a neat suit and greying beard. "Congratulations on winning the scholarship. It is only awarded to the best of the best. So, it's a pleasure to host someone as talented as you."

"The pleasure is all ours," Taeyong's dad, Mr Lee, says but is swiftly cut off by Mr Kim.

The principal rattles on, exchanging pleasantries and then further details about the scholarship with his dad, but there's a hammering in Taeyong's ears that makes it hard to listen. He forcefully tries to steady his eyes on the principal, but his gaze keeps drifting towards the coach as if so starstruck it's now grown a mind of its own. He finds the coach already staring back at him, arms folded and baseball cap tilted on his head. The look he sends him makes Taeyong falter, tremors of shock travelling in tidal waves under his skin, and he steps back a little reflexively. It catches the attention of his father and the principal, who both turn to him quickly, but he can't tear his gaze away from the coach. He'd expected him to be intimidating, frightening even with his strict reputation, but he didn't expect a look so... harsh.