The Book and The Whispers

My mom came home about an hour ago. She gave me the book that I've asked her.

''Thanks so much mom.'' I said to her happily and ready to read the book.

''You're welcome.'' She said. I went upstairs to my bedroom. I started to read the book, so far it interested me. 'So you have a crush on both of them, but which one do you like more?'

A. You feel comfortable around him, you love the way your hands touch, and you are more comfortable with him.

B. You're not really comfortable with him, you thought you could tell him everything but you just could not, you don't like the tension of your hands touching.

I thought about it for a second, 'I wasn't really comfortable with Alec, somehow, I could not tell him everything.' I thought, remembering when he asked me what I was thinking about on the porch.

With Josh, I was really comfortable around him. I did love the way our hands touched yesterday and I was more myself with him than Alec. But that was stupid. Of course I would be more comfortable with Josh, he has been my best-friend for the past ten years.

The answer is A, you're in love with him and you don't even know it.

'Haha.' I thought. 'Me, being in love with Josh, ugh, gross.' I closed the book and stared at my bedroom ceiling for a long time.

"Annabelle.'' I heard a whisper. It was probably my mom who wanted to freak me out, like when I was little, when I used to pretend that I was a big girl, I would sleep in my bedroom, and they waited till I was sleeping to scare me. I would just scream and cry, and they could not help it but laugh at me. But at the same time, they were thoughtful, every time they were going to scare me, they made sure to record videos of me.

They would watch the videos with me, laugh at them, and I would be embarrassed. But at the end, I would laugh with them. Thinking about them made me miss my dad, my dad wasn't home much, he was always in business trips all around the world. Like last month, he was in India, now He was in Haiti. I wondered how he was doing in Haiti, well, probably great because he was Haitian and he loved traveling so he could learn about his ancient cultures.

My dad told me once that his grandfather was Martinican and his grandmother was French. They gave birth to a child, who was my grandfather, he married a Haitian girl and gave birth to my dad. My mom told me that her grandmother was French who married a Haitian guy and gave birth to my grandma. So, I only knew that my grandmother on my mom's side was half French, half Haitian. I didn't know anything about my grandpa on my mom's side.

One day, I had asked my mom if she knew her dad, she had told me all her life she had never met him. I was kind of sad for her. I had also asked her how grandma had died, I had expected her to tell me the story but she had only freaked out on me and started to cry. By that time, I was only eleven, since then, I've never asked her anything about my grandma.

''Annabelle.'' The whispers continued. 'That's it.' I thought. I climbed off my bed and opened the door. Nothing, my mom wasn't there, I checked the bathroom, my mom wasn't there either, I went downstairs, and saw her sitting on the couch reading the book named, 'Are you a good parent?' She was really focused on the book but I wasn't going to fall for that. My mom could sometimes be an incredible actress, she once told me that she used to be in drama and she was the best in her class.

''Stop trying to scare me, mom.'' I said, both angry and happy to show her that her plan wasn't working. ''Your plan isn't working.'' She looked up, confusion crossed her face.

''What plan?'' She asked, really confused. ''What are you even talking about?'' 'She has got to be kidding me.'

''Oh, like you don't know.'' I said, smirking a little at her.

''I really don't know.'' She said, defending herself.

''Oh really, then why was I hearing whispers?''

''What whispers?'' She said out loud.

''Really, mom. Stop acting like you don't know.'' I snapped at her, which I didn't mean to do, she was taken aback.

''Ok, first of all, calm down. Second, explain to me what you're talking about because I have no idea what you're trying to say.'' I looked at her. She wasn't lying. I took a deep breath and told her about the whispers. She looked blankly at me for a moment, there were no expressions on her face...and suddenly there was fear. ''Whispers.'' She whispered. She stood up suddenly and closed the book. She took my wrist and dragged me outside.

''Where are we going?'' I asked. My mom wasn't acting like her normal self.

"We are going to Megan's.'' She said. ''She might know something.'' When we were at Megan's front porch, my mom knocked really hard on the door, really hard until the door opened. I wondered if her hand was hurting.

''Samanta.'' Megan said. I could tell she was surprised by our unexpected visit. ''What's wrong?'' My mom stepped inside the house, she was still crunching my wrist.

''Need to talk to you.''

~~~

''So, you've been hearing whispers.'' Asked Megan, trying to figure it out.

''Yeah. But it's not the first time.''

''What do you mean, it's not the first time.'' Asked Megan, worry was in her eyes.

''Right after Josh and I had the thing.'' I spoke. I told them about the visions I had. I finished.

''Is that it?'' Asked Megan. I nodded, she turned to face my mom, ''Samanta, you'll want to hear about this.''

Megan and my mom were in the basement, the basement door was closed, Megan didn't want me to be there when they were talking, I could have wished for me to know what they were talking about, but Megan told me if I wished for something she'll know and also what I wished for, and I knew she wasn't lying because we were kind of bonded together, so there was no way for me to wish something without her knowing.

I remembered that one day I asked her if I could destroy our bond, and she said no, it was impossible and it could be dangerous, the only way we could not be bonded anymore, it was if one of us was dead.

The door opened, my mom and Megan appeared. Megan looked like someone she loved just died and she could not cry. My mom looked like a zombie, her hair was all over the place, her eyes were swollen, they were red and watery, she was crying, I felt like someone just stabbed me really hard in the heart, my mom rarely cried, all my sixteen years of life, I've rarely seen her cry. If she ever cried, it meant that she was really happy or she was laughing too hard or she was acting. But she was really crying.

I could not speak, I was trying really hard not to cry.

Seeing my mom like this hurt me really bad.

''What have you done?" I asked hoarsely to Megan. She looked at me blankly, like I was a ghost that she could not see but hear its sound, she didn't answer me, I was never patient, I was rarely patient, I was always impatient. She still looked at me but said nothing to me.

''WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?" I screamed. She was startled and I didn't care if I just screamed at her. When it came to my mom's happiness, I would do anything to make her happy.

''An....na. ''My mom was saying. Her voice was really sore. ''It's ok...ay.'' She was saying words like they were ugly syllables.

''Shh. Don't talk mom.'' I said as I moved toward her and gave her a hug. She was trembling really bad from toe to head. "Calm down, take deep breaths.'' I said and she took fast, deep breaths. ''Take deep breaths slowly.'' She replaced her fast, deep breaths to slow, deep breaths. ''Please don't cry.'' I said. "Everything will be fine.'' She looked at me, wiped her tears away, and nodded. I could have asked what they were talking about because I was always curious and suspicious, but I could not, I would have to ask Megan when we were alone, which I would have to wait tomorrow.

When my mom and I were home, I accompanied her to her bedroom.

''Are you better now?'' I asked. She looked at me and nodded.

''Don't worry about me.'' She said. "But I'm worried about you.''