Grand-ma

My mom was immobile for a full minute, there were different kinds of emotions on her face, there were sadness, anger, shock, fear on her face. She opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came out. She was speechless and lost for words. 'Oh my Gosh, I should not have said anything. Why didn't I keep my mouth shut?'

''Mom." I said, a little worried about her and angry at myself. ''Are you okay?'' She didn't bother to glance at me, she just nodded. "I'm sorry.'' I said. "I should not have said anything.'' At that, she looked at me.

''No, you were right to say something." She told me.

''Yeah, but I should not have asked you about grandma.'' I said. ''It's really clear you don't like talking about her or hate when people mention her.''

''No, Annabelle, it's__"

''Not your favorite subject, it's your worse.'' I expected her to cry or at least freak out, but no tears came, she didn't show any emotions that she was going to freak out. My mom was really brave, she looked at me with both sadness and pain in her eyes.

''Her name was.'' She started. I looked up at her, I could feel excitement going through my body. ''Rosabelle Heiddy LaFontaine.''

''Rosabelle.'' I whispered. I just could not believe that Josh was right about Rosabelle being related to me and my mom, Rosabelle was my grandma. I wanted to get out of the house to go to Josh's and tell him everything, but at the same time, I could not because my mom would find it weird.

''You know what." My mom said. I looked up at her.

''What?" I asked, interested.

"You always impress me." She said, smiling.

''How?''

''You always impress me by how you dance, speak, sing, act, by being yourself.'' She told me.

''What do you mean?'' I asked. I just didn't get how these things impressed her.

''I mean, you are like my mom. You are exactly like her, you have the same personalities, you do everything exactly like her, you even look like her, like you are her twin, people say that you are like me, you look like me. But if they knew my mom, they would say that you're exactly like your grandma, those who knew her say that about you.''

''Really.'' I said, pleased.

''Hey, if you want, I can show you pictures of me and her together.''

"Sure.'' I said. I really wanted to see pictures of my grandma. My mom slapped her fingers and an album of pictures appeared. I felt a wild excitement go through me, she opened the album in the middle, there were pictures of this girl who had to be sixteen back then, my breath was cut, that girl looked just like me, it was like she was my twin from a different dimension.

I looked at other pictures of her, she really did look just like me. My mom showed me other pictures, pictures of grandma with a cute boy, my breath was cut, that boy was the man that Josh and I saw, the man who mistook me for my grandma. But there was something else about this boy, like I've seen him in a dream or something. 'Argh.' I thought. 'My memories are really bad these days.'

I saw more pictures of her and that boy. At some point, my mom skipped some pictures, she showed me her and grandma together. There were pictures of me, her, dad, and grandma together. Grandma was holding me, I was laughing. That time, I only had four teeth.

''Aww.'' My mom and I both said.

''You were so adorable when you were a baby.'' She said, smiling proudly.