Chapter 5: Walking

Explore. That was probably the best thing to do. If he simply walked along and let his instincts lead the way, he'd be sure to find out more about the animals and maybe how he managed to appear in this world.

So, he started walking again, always glancing far out onto the surroundings around him to soak up all the fascinating designs and creativity that befell upon all of them. Eventually, he stopped and decided to take a small rest and consider his next options. He sat down in front of a large circular fountain with with small water geysers in it constantly shooting water in a rhythmic pattern. 

Man, what a city this was, there hadn't been a single moment in his small journey until now that he hadn't been mesmerised by the surroundings. He never thought that he'd go from a serious and silent killing machine to a bewildered and attentive pacific "tourist". Hank had always been sticking his head up high in the air to catch every sight of the arts around him he whole way, as if even missing one tiny little detail was the greatest of sins.

Now feeling a bit bored, he began to scratch his makeshift cat ears on his head to feel the soft fur in them and kept his focus on the geysers shooting up in the fountain.

Suddenly, he heard a voice that had been spoken in a quite serious tone and it caught his curiosity. He turned his head around and saw...

A smaller grey animal with a slim figure and two long ears. Hank dug deep into his memory, trying to remember what type of animal this was. Oh, right! It was bunny. Those fluffy mammals that were rumoured to love carrots in Nevada. It was also an animal that Hank liked, but nowhere as much as a cat.

The bunny seemed to be wearing a blue uniform and was talking to a fewer younger looking mammals. Intrigued, he started to try and start walking casually in the bunny's general direction to not make it suspicious. 

Once he got within better hearing range, he stopped.

"And that's why you need to be safe on the road" he heard the bunny tell the kids in a much nicer tone now, "Promise I won't see that again?" She went on. Hank realised she was holding a small football in her hands.

"Yes, officer Hopps" the kids said with a smile on their faces. The bunny seemed satisfied and gave them the ball. One of the kids thanked her and they all ran off to the green area around the fountain that he had been.

The bunny now had a smile on their face and put both her hand on her hips, standing proudly. Suddenly, it seemed like she sensed something was wrong as her eyes shot up with surprise  as she turned her head towards Hank's direction. He came to the conclusion that she had also never seen a cat with a grunt's body shape or with Hank's choice of clothing.

Before the bunny, which Hank had heard that's it's name was Hopps when the kids said it, could do anything, he swiftly turned and started walking In another direction, hoping to lose the bunny's gaze.

He quickly thought about the bunny's style of clothing. Blue, with a small golden badge and the kids said "officer". Was she... a cop? Before Nevada became all messed up, there used to be some kind of small law enforcement, albeit Hank only really ever knew the Sheriff as some sort of policeman, nobody else. This world, however, probably had a much larger police force due to the fact that he had also seen other animals with similar blue uniforms during his previous walk.

Despite the small encounter they had, he still had the feeling that they would meet again soon one way or another, judging by the look the bunny had on her face.

Either way, Hank decided it was time to keep walking and find somewhere to eat. He was beginning to feel quite hungry, thus he took another's quick look around and saw a building that had tables and chairs indoors as he could see in the window. It would do. The mercenary quickly walked inside and sat down in one of the chair on a solitary table before a another animal with grey fur came towards the table holding a small notepad.

"Welcome sir, have you decided what you woul-" Shen started asking before she looked at him and one of her eyebrows going up in her face. "Umm..." she continued, " I mean, what would you like to order?"

Hank already knew what he always wanted. "Hotdogs" he replied.

The animal just stared weirdly. Hank suddenly realised, dogs were also animals.

"Hehe, jokes." He quickly added. "I'll just ummm... have pasta, any kind with tomato sauce.

After a few seconds, the animal nodded slowly and walked away. Hank breathed a sigh of relief, before realising once again that almost every single animal was staring at him. Forks, knives and spoons had been set down and lot's of them had an uneasy look on their face.

Cmon, why did they have to stare so much? He was just a guy trying to get used to this place. He could only hope that soon he'd find a way out of here after eating. Soon, the food arrived. A small plate of pasta with tomato sauce sprinkled over it. Hank took the fork and took a quick glance outwards again. Many animal species had finally gone back to eating their food, but still some lingered in the same position, with the same expression splattered on their face.

This was a peaceful land. Hank's metal jaw and slightly bloodied upper jaw wouldn't fit in very well with the city folk. So, he faced a wall and quickly brought the bandana on his face to his metal jaw's chin and began eating the pasta.

Since he was sure no animals could see him in this direction, he relaxed and soon finished his plate. When he turned back however, practically everybody in the restaurant was staring at him.

Panicking, he quickly fished a few pound notes out his pockets that The Higher Powers had thankfully left him and quickly stepped out of the restaurant.

Man, that was weird, it really was only a matter of time until his identity was revealed. He needed to find someone who could help him, and fast. However, before he could do anything else. He felt someone's run into him swiftly from behind and knocking him to the floor. 

Grunting and getting back up, he saw the the figure had also fallen down and was visibly angry. It was a black teen wolf carrying a black bag and panting heavily as if he had been running.

"Hey, watch where you're going, freak!" The wolf exclaimed, "It's not Halloween yet!"

Hank felt anger suddenly boiling inside him. Watch where you're going? Freak? How dare this bitch insult him and pin the blame on him! He was going to teach him a lesson and then he'd...

Oh no... It was overtaking him. His angry and bloodthirsty side, the main one in control when he was in Nevada.

Things were about to get ugly...