Fourth Grade: Ash

"Give it back!" Dally yelled as he chased Cadie onto the street.

"Haha, never!" I yelled back as she threw Mr. Fluffles, his stuffed dragon, over his head to me, though he kept going after Cadie. Dally tackled her onto the pavement just as a red Corvair jetted down the road right next to where they were standing. Though this isn't the first time this kinda thing happened it was as if Dally always knew when something bad would happen.

"We almost just bought it," Cadie breathed out, Freaked out about what could have happened if Dally didn't tackle her. I started to grin again as I began to run away with Mr. Fluffles ignoring what had just happened.

"No fair! I'm gonna rat you out to mom Ash!" Dally whined.

"Fine," I said with an eye roll "Have your stupid toy back." I tossed Mr. Fluffles back to Dally.

He gasped and covered Mr. Fluffles' ears and yelled "Don't you dare call him stupid!" After some laughing and glares on Dally's part, then we all went back inside. After we were inside, Cadie started to beam about her older brothers. The oldest is named Darry, he's a freshman and he's always gone from home doing who knows what. From what Cadie informed us he was trying to be on his school's football team. Her second older brother, Sodapop, isn't that much of a smartie and is always in the lot with his friend Steve. Cadie's brother closest to our age is Ponyboy, he's in our grade and 10 months older than Cadie. Cadie had skipped a grade when she was younger. When she did that was around the time we moved here. We only met a few months after I and Dally had gotten here. I saw her on a bench in the playground all by herself and went to talk to her, we hit it off instantly. We've been stuck together ever since then. Later on, Dally came along because "Heros have to protect the innocent." Dally used to be into all the heroic kinds of things. Sometimes I miss when he was like that. We wanted to stay in New York but it was just too expensive for dad since mom had left him. Though I can't blame her, he is an alcoholic. One night after mom had put us to bed we heard a lot of yelling then ten minutes later a door slammed. When we woke up in the morning she was gone. Whenever we asked dad where she went, or why she left, we'd get no answer sometimes we would even be yelled at. So Dally and I kept to ourselves.