Fifth Grade: Cadie

"Where's Dally?" I questioned Ash as we walked through the woods behind my house.

"Skipping again, I guess." We found a spot in the woods a few months back. We chose to call it Neverland because at night you can see the stars through the trees, and all the fireflies which made it feel as if you were in a fairy tale. All you have to do is bring a sleeping bag.

"What's got him so busy lately?"

"I don't know, but have you noticed everyone seems to know him? I'm pretty sure I've heard people whispering about him" I shrugged.

When we reached the spot it was covered in leaves. We hadn't been out to Neverland in a little while since it was too cold out. Ash found the rake from underneath some moss blankets to clean out the leaves. While she was doing that I walked over to our corner near a cave where we keep all kinds of items like old car parts we found on the side of the road, or pieces of who-knows-what that wash up from the creek. I was rummaging through the items when I found an old beat-up tire that was perfect. I rushed back rolling the tire with me. "I Found it!"

"Great, here's the rope," Ash said as she tossed the rope to me. I climbed the tree using some planks we've nailed onto it. We pulled the tire up using a pulley system Dally thought of, and I got it tethered to one of the trees. Climbing into the tire I screamed, "First ride of the year!" before letting go of the rope. The tire zipped along the line to a different tree. I used my feet to direct me to the third tree. I was lowering myself to the ground when I saw something inside. I reached down and grabbed the piece of paper. It's a picture of Dally and me with a blurred blob where Ash had tried to run in. The picture was at the school 'event' (it was a school dance). I was on Dally's back and he was looking up at me while I stuck my tongue out at the camera. I miss the times when Dally wasn't so busy doing who-knows-what all the time.