chapter 9

"What the hell is on your neck?"

"It's a—"

"Who convinced you to get a tattoo?"

"I did this my—"

"That's sick! You should get one, Brook."

Major and Brook glared at him.  

I smiled at Rye. "I'm glad someone likes it."

"Sure." He shrugged. "It's really good for a temporary."

Major whipped around. "Temporary?"

Brook threw her arms up. "Guess I can stop Googling 'how to get tattoos removed'!"

"I tried saying that, but you both kept—"

"Who convinced you to get a temp then?"

I sighed. "No one convinced me."

"You've never wanted a tattoo before," Major pointed out.

"So? Things can change."

Brook covered a laugh with her hand. "Lani, you're the innocent one. I expected Rye to get a drunken tattoo before you did sober."

Rye bobbed his head then nodded. "Fair."

"It's just not you, Nini," Major said.

"That was the point," I mumbled, pushing past Brook and Major to the stairs.

In the safety of my room, I stared at the swirl of ink on my neck. It wasn't top quality, but all Melody cared about was us matching one day. In her mind, a decent temp would convince me to do the real thing. Even seeing it in the mirror, I couldn't imagine having something mark my skin forever.

One by one, all three of my best friends tried to lure me out of my bedroom. To their credit, they were pretty creative with their methods. Years of knowing each other came in handy. But after an hour of failed attempts, they gave up and left me to "sulk."

I expected their responses, predicted them even. I couldn't blame them, either. They were right.

March 3

Lani (@lanicorn)
Hey
Just wanted to say sorry about the other day
I didn't mean to unload on a stranger

Dream (@Dream)
firstly i thought we were best friends
secondly don't worry about it

Lani (@lanicorn)
No I realized afterward that it wasn't cool
And probably really weird

Dream (@Dream)
hey i'm happy to help
if i did at all

Lani (@lanicorn)
You did