the earth-ones

tw: sharp teeth, mentions of death, darkness, evil

No one would save me now. Unfortunately, I didn't know that long ago, so Long-ago me did something idiotic and possibly deadly.

Long-ago me went into the Forest.

It was hardly a miserable day, but it couldn't be described as lovely either

It was hardly a miserable day, but it couldn't be described as lovely either. The sun shone, but the wind pulled at my hair and made me trip and fall into the fountain.

(Idiot, I think now, of course the wind didn't push you into the fountain. That was all the Forest. And Them.)

I stood there for a moment, dripping wet and embarrassed. Thankfully no one was there to see me.

(But there was! I seethe. They were watching all along.)

I blow out a frustrated breath, intending to head home, have a nice warm bath and a cup of tea, and forget this ever happened. Instead, I stayed for a minute longer.

(Why couldn't I just have gone and got that tea right there and then? Why did I have to wait?)

Then I heard the voice. It was whimsical and soft, like a fairytale or a lullaby.

And it was coming from the Forest.

My mother had forbidden me from ever going into the Forest. She told me stories of the dangers that lurked there and the children that had died in there.

(With good reason)

I, being the idiot I was, stopped, and listened to what the voice was saying.

"No blood will be spilled, no tears will be shed. No nightmares for small children asleep in their beds." the voice sang. I shivered, an eerie feeling replacing the whimsy and loveliness from before.

But I kept walking towards it. The voice got louder and more menacing as I neared it, and I realized the words had changed.

"Gather round, no spirit found. Trust in death, in this broken ground. Let no lies be told, for the truth is..."