Romeo || 14

__

__

the light dims gradually and the audience fall silent, waiting for the next performance to come up once the host steps aside from the podium after announcing for the next set of students to take up the stage.

aera's eyes fill with tears, staring at her feet, now giving up on looking around for her classmate and partner who was going to accompany her in the performance after numerous rehearsals, be it the acting and drama part or the singing part.

"go aera, we can't keep the audience waiting." the teacher says, patting the girl's back and smiles softly, "you've practiced a lot, you'll do great."

"but miss-"

"it's okay, forget about daehun for a moment." she says, giving the kid an assuring hug and gently pushes her towards the stairs leading to the stage, "now go, best of luck."

aera nods hesitantly, wiping the tears and takes a deep breath, making her way up to the middle of the stage, holding her cream colored ball gown with one hand to make it easier to walk and having a glittery, golden mic in the other hand. she closes her eyes for a second, calming herself down, before focusing on the audience as the lights turn on and curtains lift up.

a cheer from the people makes her smile and she hears the music starting in the background. for a moment she's positive that she can handle it, but then the fact that she's supposed to act as well hits her again, dropping her confidence back to the floor.

"we were both young, when i first saw you" the audience fall silent and she realises it's probably the absence of romeo that's bugging them. the tears return as she sings slowly, trying her best not to cry on stage and ruin the performance.

she blinks a few times attempting to get rid of the tears blurring her vision, but ends up dropping one on her cheek. her hand wipes it slowly when she turns around, taking careful steps up the little castle to the open balcony and faces the audience again, "-i'm standing there, on a balcony in summer air."

she closes her eyes for a brief moment, hating her friend for doing this to her, "see the lights, see the party, the ball gowns. see you make your way through the crowd and say hello."

the next thing she never expected to see was jungkook walking up to the staircase with a smile, wearing white pants, a white shirt with a chrochet design in the middle and a similar white jacket with lose, flaring ends of the sleeves. she frowns subtly, almost missing her line to sing but catches up anyway when jungkook gestures her to sing.

"-that you were romeo, you were throwing pebbles. and my daddy said stay away from juliet." she sings, still not understanding what is happening, although breaks into a smile on seeing jungkook extending his hand out from the artificial ground in front of castle, holding out a beautiful bouquet of white roses.

"-you'll be the prince and i'll be the princess, it's a love story baby just say yes."

jungkook chuckles, lip syncing the lyrics with her at times, nodding in appreciation for every note that she hits right and every smile she smiles at him. he takes a step forward, holding out his hand as he remembered it's time for her get down from the castle. aera glances at the audience, singing to them once she's responded to jungkook's bow to her, reminding her that she's indeed her oppa's princess.