Chapter 2: "what is your heart telling you?"

Uotani and Hanajima had been waiting patiently for about fifteen minutes. The blonde was pacing back and forth, muttering under her breath. The ebony-haired one remained calm on the outside, but on the inside she was preparing to use her powers if necessary. Akito's companion was also watching from the sidelines, still enveloped in shadows. Finally, the pair returned.

Tohru seemed to be a bit shaken up, and Akito was mildly frustrated as he said to his companion, "Let's go, Kureno." The dark-haired man stalked off, as the other reluctantly followed, stealing one last glance at Uotani before he left.

"What happened back there?" Uotani asked once the two men were out of earshot. Tohru only stood there, completely at a loss for words, eyes glazed over and cheeks flushed. The bag she was holding was shaking slightly.

"You're trembling, Tohru." Hanajima noticed, wrapping a delicate arm around her friend's shoulder. Uotani followed suit, taking the bag of ingredients from Tohru's hand.

"Can we just...go to...my house, please?" Tohru managed to mumble out. Hanajima and Uotani shared a look of concern, and the former said, "Of course."

Kyoko greeted the trio fondly when they arrived at the Honda residence. Then she noticed her daughter's distress, and her smile faded. Hanajima and Uotani left the apartment while Kyoko guided Tohru into the living room.

"Sweetie, what's bothering you?" Kyoko asked, holding her daughter's shoulders.

"Oh, it's um...nothing. Nothing at all," Tohru replied, nervously laughing while doing so. That was a sign right there.

"Tohru. I'm your mom; you don't have to hide things from me."

"I know." Taking a deep breath, Tohru explained Akito's sudden proposal to her mother.

"I just don't know what to do...," Tohru trailed off, her eyes clouded.

Kyoko pulled Tohru into a tight hug. "It'll be alright, Tohru. Ask yourself one thing — what is your heart telling you? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but trust me. If it feels right, you'll know...," Kyoko found her gaze drawn to their humble shrine dedicated to her late husband, Katsuya. Her eyes watered, and she quickly wiped up her falling tears before her daughter could see. They broke apart, and Tohru's expression was filled with resolve.

"Alright, Mom. I know what I have to do now," Tohru said firmly, holding up her hands in fists. Kyoko smiled and laughed, saying, "That's my Tohru."

Now that Tohru was more certain of her feelings towards Akito, she radiated confidence the next time they met. Tohru saw Akito walking with his wingman in the park, and strode up to him. She mustered up her courage and gingerly tapped Akito on the shoulder.

"Oh. Interesting seeing you here, Tohru." Akito said coldly, and he glanced at his company, ignoring the girl in front of him.

"Hello, Akito. May we speak in private?" Tohru politely asked. She tried to hide her shaking hands in her abnormally-long jacket sleeves. Akito sneered and said, "Anything you have to say you can say in front of Kureno, too."

"O-okay." Tohru took a single deep breath, and continued. "Akito, I unfortunately cannot accept your proposal. To be honest, I don't...really...know you that well. I mean, sure, we've met a couple times at the market, but other than that, I don't know. And I don't want to play around with your feelings, Akito. I...I just feel that I'm not the one for you." She looked Akito right in the eyes, clasping her hands behind her back and smiling up at him. "I hope you do find the right person for you, Akito!"

Tohru anxiously awaited Akito's reply, or even rebuke. But to her surprise, Akito nodded. He sighed, then said, "I appreciate your sincerity, Tohru. It's one of the things I admire about you." Akito's previously averted gaze shifted and lingered on Tohru for a moment before he signaled for Kureno to walk with him. As they headed further into the park, Tohru felt a sigh of relief escape her lips. Her hands were no longer trembling, and the pit of guilt in her stomach had subsided.

That wasn't so bad after all.

Meanwhile, Akito was seething. How could that ignorant little girl refuse me? Me?!?! I am a superior being compared to everyone else. That Tohru...she'll pay for her mistake.

When Akito and Kureno arrived back at their residence, the former immediately retreated to his quarters. He stood in the center of the room. His fists were tightly clenched, teeth gritting against each other in a mix of frustration and confusion.

He felt like screaming at the top of his lungs, letting the whole world know his pain, but he decided against it. Instead, he collapsed to the floor and laid on his left side, facing the open window. The sun's light was fading. Akito turned onto his back and closed his eyes, slowly slipping into a restless sleep.