Chapter 4

Lizzie stopped any sort of flattery she might have felt from seeping through her system. Instead, she took a step back, distancing herself from the man before her. He placed his hands behind his back.

"I think we should start discussing my assignment."

"Of course," he agreed, and then swept his arm out, indicating a table located in a pocket of the room. The two walked towards it in silence and only when they were sitting across from each other did Nikolai begin. "As I'm sure you already know, there was a viable threat against my life made within the last week."

"How do you know it's viable?" Lizzie asked, cocking her head slightly to the side. "I mean, you're royalty. Surely you, especially being the heir to the throne, receive them quite often."

"Yes, you are correct," Nikolai allowed, nodding his head a couple of times. "I have people who decipher whether or not this threat was indeed viable, and they determined that it was. If you want their paperwork, I am sure we could get you some copies." Though the offer was friendly, the delivery of it was somewhat dry.

"Yes, I'd appreciate that," she snapped while she batted her eyelashes. She took a seat at the desk in the library and stretched out her legs. Despite how Nikolai came off to her, Lizzie needed to remember he was royalty. Just because he wasn't her prince didn't mean she could outright disrespect him. He hired her, after all. If she was disrespected, she would speak up.

Nikolai's smirk of amusement only deepened and he tilted his head, leaning back in his chair as he crossed his arms over his chest. "You know," he began, "I think I'm going to like you."

"That's great," she said, her tone flat. "Listen, we need to talk about the job you're giving me. I need to know everything so I can do my job and do it well." She paused for a moment before forcing herself to add, "Please."

"Of course," Nikolai said, nodding once to her. "As I've explained, my team found a credible threat against my life. There seems to be no reasoning behind it, but like all threats against me, I believe it has to do with the fact that I am to inherit my father's throne in three months' time. Despite how fit I am for the job, some of my people seem to disagree with me inheriting the position."

"How odd," Lizzie muttered under her breath, drumming her fingers on the surface of the table, waiting with what little patience she had for him to continue his story.

Nikolai's brow rose and his eyes flashed into hers. Other than that, he continued, seemingly ignoring her flippant comment. "At first, I thought I should let my people take care of it, but I guess I didn't take into consideration just how serious the threat was," he explained, straightening up. "Some suggested I hire help. Of course, they meant help by other vampires, but it begs the questions: how am I supposed to know that the vampires we do hire aren't going to double-cross me at some point; and secondly, though the vampire assassins are good, they're not the best. You are the best. I've seen what you've done to every species that has broken some law the three species of Somerset have agreed on. This is where you come in, Elizabeth. As an agent of the NDS, you possess knowledge of the law and skills to enforce it. You are the best, and as a royal, a key figure in the history of my people, I felt it was only right to hire simply the best."

Lizzie might have felt flattered, but it was just a testimony to how good she was. "Right," she said. "Well, have your people gotten any suspects?" She pushed her brow up, keeping her eyes locked with his.

"No," Nikolai said, shaking his head, but soon after he pursed his lips. "Actually, that's not true. Someone suggested that Lewis, my brother, might be behind it in hopes to take the throne for himself, but I highly disagree. Though I'm sure Lewis is upset, he respects our laws and he respects our father's choice. He has no choice but to."

Lizzie let everything sink in, before finally nodding her head. "Okay," she said. She stood up at that moment and brushed transparent wrinkles off her jean-clad thighs. "Well, thank you, Your Highness. I should go to my room and start doing some research."

Nikolai nodded. "I'll have a butler show you where that is," he said before standing himself. "Lizzie." She turned to look at him with arched a brow, gesturing for him to please continue with his thought. "I would greatly appreciate it if you get on our time schedule as quickly as possible."

Lizzie said nothing but pushed her brows up even further to agree to what he was asking. So, he wanted her to be nocturnal. She could do that. It might be the easiest thing she had to do during the entire mission.

Thank you so much for reading this chapter! I hope you enjoyed it! Please let me know what you think by leaving me a comment or adding this story to your reading list!

I would love to keep in contact with you and would love if you might consider signing up for my free newsletter here!

Thank you again!