Chapter 8

By the time she returned to her new lodgings, the sun was setting. It wasn't like her to get distracted from what she originally set out to do, but she couldn't help but explore the small, nearby community when she saw it. Somehow, she ended up staying there the entire day. Her infinite thirst of knowledge left her powerless in situations such as these, so it really wasn't her fault. The people were very friendly to her, despite the fact that she was a stranger, and they fed her, as well as showed her around. The food was absolutely delicious. There was a church, a bar, and various family-owned shops, plus a grand fountain located in the center of the town where people threw in coins, made a wish, and apparently, were awarded with receiving what they wished for. Every once in a while, the coins would be collected and donated to the local .

As she walked through the doors of the castle, Carl arched a brow in her direction, as though he hadn't expected to see Nikolai's guest and bodyguard attired quite like this. She was sure he was up from his slumber and didn't want to get into an argument with him because her resolve at attempting politeness while in his presence didn't seem to really work when he was yelling at her or dropping sarcastic retorts.

It was then that she realized Nikolai and Lewis weren't alone, at least not this time. There, sitting around the dining table in the elaborate dining room, were two women Lizzie wasn't familiar with. One had short, chopped blonde hair and midnight blue eyes, similar to Nikolai's. Her face was slim, and she was wearing a flashy dress that was too low, too tight, and too red. It was something Lizzie would never wear because she knew she couldn't pull it off because nobody could pull such a thing off. However, oddly enough, the dress did not take away from the woman's beauty. Lizzie was sure this woman was a vampire from the complexion of her skin, but she wasn't sure just how she knew Nikolai and Lewis.

The other one, sitting next to Lewis, had black hair and grey-green eyes. Lizzie could tell that this one was much more conservative than the other, only because she was wearing a dark gown that suited her more, the cut being appropriate and classy. It was a deep purple that complimented her dark hair and pale skin tone. She was obviously more beautiful than the woman in red, but the woman in red was no doubt pretty.

Both of them looked up when they saw Lizzie, and when they took in her appearance, their eyes narrowed. It wasn't as though Lizzie knew they were going to come by or else she would have gotten home and dressed for them. So she looked a little sweaty and her shirt was clinging to her curves and her shorts might be just a little short. It was Nikolai's fault for not warning her they would have company.

The woman in red turned her head up and started sniffing the air. She closed her eyes and paused.

"Ah," she said. "I hear it. Your heart beating."

Lizzie froze, unsure of what to do. Her mind started coming up with the best plan to take them both out at once. Vampires were faster than anything on this planet, and while they weren't as strong as werewolves, they certainly were more physically capable than humans. Lizzie felt the press of the blades against her thighs and she loosed a sigh through her nose. They gave her some sense of relief.

The second one launched herself at Lizzie. Lizzie had no time to get out of the way. The vampire crashed into her. Lizzie's mind raced. She reached up and socked the vampire in the face. Her knuckles screamed in pain.

Fangs extracted and went after Lizzie's throat. The vampire didn't seem to flinch with Lizzie's punch. She needed to reach her ankle. She had silver-infused daggers attached to both ankles.

Lizzie sucked in a breath and jabbed the vampire in the throat. The vampire grunted in pain. Lizzie took that moment to grab the dagger and bring it to the vampire's throat.

"Refrain yourselves," Nikolai commanded, his voice low and sharp. "Glad to see Lizzie knows how to defend herself. And me."

The two women listened, slowly sitting down, but they never took their suspicious eyes off her, especially the woman in red. Something about her caused Lizzie's intuition to prickle, but she couldn't say why. Instead, she let her shoulders sag in relief that Nikolai had saved her from being the main course.

--

Thank you so much for reading this chapter! I hope you enjoyed it! Please let me know what you think by leaving me a comment or adding this story to your reading list!

I would love to keep in contact with you and would love if you might consider signing up for my free newsletter here!

Thank you again!