Chapter 3

Dazai came to a halt when they arrived at a river. The sound of the stream was extremely therapeutic. There was also a mini waterfall. The sound of the falling water crashing onto the still water and rocks at the bottom was music to Chuuya's ears. He stood by the side in awe. Dazai turned to Chuuya and asked if he wanted to wash up and take a swim. Chuuya shook his head. He could not swim. Dazai smiled and went into the water first. It was not deep; it was only up till his waist. He stretched out his hand to Chuuya who refused to enter the water. "I'll hold you," Dazai insisted. Chuuya was smaller than him, so the water level differs for them both. "You brought your clothes right, Chuuya?" The boy only nodded as he held onto Dazai's hand and stepped into the water. As he set foot unto the bottom, his foot landed on a mossy rock which made him slip. Since their hands were still intertwined, Dazai lost his balanced for a while and fell along with Chuuya who frantically trying to climb on Dazai. "C... Chuuya wait-" Dazai forcefully let Chuuya's hand go so he could steady himself in the water and quickly brought the boy back up to stand. Chuuya was panting. "Trying to get on top of me is not gonna save you." Dazai said, as he wiped the water off Chuuya's face with his hand. "Sorry. I panicked."

Chuuya who was slightly smaller had a hard time in the water as it was up to his chest. Dazai held both of Chuuya's hands as he walked backwards, guiding Chuuya into the waterfall. Again, Chuuya slipped a little but this time, Dazai was able to catch him. Chuuya felt his heartbeat raging against his ribcage as their eyes met but he just shrugged it off assuming it was just him being shocked from slipping again. "Why didn't you learn to swim?" Chuuya could not answer. "I can teach you!" Dazai said again while smiling. How can he sound so much like a child while he looks just old enough to be a man? "How old are you?" Chuuya finally asked. "I thought you knew?"

"I want the exact number, not just approximately 1000 years."

"Ah, well 1001 years old."

"You're joking."

"I'm not!" Dazai answered back, pouting.

Slowly, he pulled Chuuya under the falling waters. It was fun as the water felt like a full body massage. It was cool and refreshing. As they walked further behind the waterfall, there were more rocks. The rocks were climbable so they both went up and sat there. Mists from the waterfall hits their skin as they watch the beauty from behind. "What about you, Chuuya? How old are you?"

"I'm 18."

"Eh?"

"What?"

"Ch-" Dazai covered his mouth with the back of his hand to stifle a laugh.

"What is it?"

"You need milk," he paused, "Chibi."

"First of all, I'm still growing! Secondly, who are you to judge?!"

Dazai let out a laugh. He went silent after a while. He had not laughed in decades.

"Chuuya, come down. You have to drink the water."

"Won't I get cholera?"

"No. I'll go first then."

Dazai then jumped down into the stream and swam away leaving Chuuya. Few moments later he swam back and saw Chuuya struggling back down. "Oops. I forgot." He reached out to hold Chuuya by his waist and pulled him down. Again, Chuuya felt his heart race. They went back out from behind the waterfall and then Dazai cupped his hands to get some of the river water. He slurped it down. "Your turn. Trust me, it's better than whatever bottled water you have out there."

Chuuya mirrored Dazai and to his surprised what the brown-hair boy said was true. It was revitalizing. Dazai swam back to the banks and watched as Chuuya struggled to walk towards. Again, he stretched out his arm and let Chuuya grab on before he pulled him up. "You really need to learn how to swim." Chuuya turned away. Dazai sat as he enjoyed the sound of nature. The insects, the sound of rustling leaves, the water, and the sound of Chuuya breathing.

Chuuya sat beside him and then laid down on the grass. His grey eyes sparkled as they watched the clear blue sky. The trees were not blocking the sky by the water stream. He closed his eyes and felt the warmth on his face. Dazai who was sitting turned to look at Chuuya and felt a blush creep up his face. He leaned closer.

"What are you doing?" Chuuya asked as he spoke with his eyes closed.

"Nothing. I am a fox I tend to... sniff... things." Dazai answered sheepishly.

Chuuya sat back up with a glare in which Dazai immediately turned the other way and hummed to himself like nothing happened. Moments later, there were sounds of twigs breaking. The snapping sounds sounded quick and heavy, like something big was running. They both stood. Dazai was in front of Chuuya with his arms stretched out pushing Chuuya behind him. They slowly backed away when they saw a pair of red glow eyes appear.

"D-Dazai?"

Dazai hushed the boy immediately which made Chuuya clasp his mouth instinctively.

A black fox jumped out and went straight to pounce on Dazai. He swiftly avoided the attack all the while protecting Chuuya.

"Now, now, Akutagawa. That's not nice."

The fox named Akutagawa transformed into a human right before them. He wore a black sweater and a pair of black slacks. He had white streaks of hair at the end of his side bangs. It was quite a peculiar hairstyle, but he looked like he would devour anything that got in his way.

"I smell human."

"You're wrong." Dazai said with a straight face.

"Then what is that behind you?"

Chuuya who was peeking from behind Dazai went back behind and buried his face onto Dazai's sweater. He was frightened.

"This? Oh, he's just a newly born Kitsune. No tails, no power. New boy. Fresh."

"I'm not an utter idiot, Dazai-san." Akutagawa snapped back as he coughed some of his words out.

"You caught me. Now off you go. Drink some of that river water before you go, Akutagawa."

Akutagawa watched Chuuya. He took one last long look before returning into a black fox. He bowed towards them and left. "Interesting," Akutagawa thought.

"Dazai-san's choice of partner is not a female?"

•••
A/N: I wish to update faster and longer but my assignments are not letting me off easily 🥴 Thank you for waiting! Hope you like this chapter! Progress is still a little slow and plotless but I'll work it out 🙏🏻