IV -- Don't Blink

Suddenly I was jerked around, turned swiftly to face a couple of elegantly-dressed patrons who stood like a brick wall in front of me. They weren't dancing, either, just staring at me like I was a bug they wanted to step on. The guy was short, barely taller than me, and way over-dressed for the venue. His hair was perfectly styled, and he wore a striped suit, complete with a matching coat draped artfully over his shoulders. In a pretentious kind of way.

My suspicion started growing as he gestured like he wanted to pass by. Except the only thing on the far side of me was Sangwoo.

I looked at the female by his side. Gorgeous, perfect, and quite possibly using the gent with her for his money and influence. Her cocktail dress and high heels were the exact same shade of royal blue, and she held a sparkly, black clutch purse in one hand.

Something was going on here, so I stopped dancing. First, I attempted to deflect them, saying, "We would be happy to move to another part of the dance floor if you really need this space." My tone clearly conveyed I thought they didn't deserve our spot, but I had appointed myself the job of running interference for Sangwoo, so I had to at least make an attempt at being polite.

The man's gaze traveled over me and dismissed me in a heartbeat. "My companion wishes to have a word with that gentleman," he nodded infinitesimally at Sangwoo, and I wondered if his girlfriend had guessed his identity. Or that he was an idol.

And how stupid did this guy have to be to make a scene to help his girlfriend meet another guy?

I stepped in front of them again, planting my feet and squaring my shoulders. "We can go," I announced. I was keeping it short and sweet, but the guy, though small, was fast. His forearm came up, cross body, towards my shoulder and quite forcefully moved me to the side. I would have stumbled if Sangwoo hadn't caught my other elbow in his hand, steadying me for a moment.

He looked down at me, and then up towards the door, not giving the interloper or his companion the blessing of his gaze. He didn't say anything. Of course, he didn't. The man of few words. His mouth was set in a hard line, though, and he nodded briefly.

I took that as, "It's time to go," but it seemed we weren't quite done yet. Another gentle tug on my sleeve guided me back a step as Sangwoo placed himself in front of me. My heart squeezed, wondering if I could take this as a romantic gesture. My imagination was a thing of beauty.

The tall idol at my side still wasn't talking. He ignored the woman, who smiled brightly and offered up a little small talk. "So nice to meet you!" she started.

Sangwoo turned the intensity of his stare onto her date, not flinching as two thugs strode up to flank the man. Thugs who wore those nice, nondescript suits security teams wear.

Oh, God, I sincerely hoped this punk wasn't the owner of the club. Or worse, some sort of underworld crime boss. That would be really bad. In reality, though, he could only be the son of a crime boss. This dude looked pretty soft.

My mind was already fast-forwarding to the call I was going to have to make from the police station. "Hello, Mom? I need a good lawyer..."And I wondered who would come collect Sangwoo, maybe Lim Jimin? That thought sent chills through me.

Motionless beside me, Sangwoo just continued to stare. His whole body was tense, expecting trouble maybe, and I had a hard time taking my eyes off of him. He was just so captivating, with his face set perfectly, expression controlled as the seconds ticked by.

The pinstriped suit cleared his throat and narrowed his eyes but maintained his return glare. Neither one was going to back down.

A silly thought occurred to me. This chump was trying to win a staring contest against a guy who literally practiced stares for a living. Singing, dancing, and having the right sexy expression ready for the camera at exactly the right moment. This was going to be good. I could wait this out, enjoying the mounting intensity.