Chapter 3: the investigation

It was about a week later, and things were pretty much back to normal apart from the fact they were still human. Sam was trying to find a way to turn them back, and Max had been enjoying his temporary tallness. Sam had been trying to fix the broken wand staff thing, but no glue, tape or sticky tack he used had held it together. The thing always drooped and/or fell back apart, much less actually worked.

A funny thing had been happening though... whenever they were out walking, any girl they came across made goo-goo eyes at max, sometimes waving at him and winking. Max of course had no interest in any of them (although he teased Sam by saying he did once or twice, to which Sam would respond with "but max, you don't even like girls!")
Max ended up getting a little annoyed with this, so he tried to fix the wand by using his own spit as glue, which of course didn't work because it was spit.

"Ugh... why won't this thing stay together?" Max said, slamming his head on the desk." Sam pats his back. "You aren't having any luck either, huh?" Max looks up at him. "Nope.." Sam thinks. "Hmm... oh!" he snaps his fingernails. "You know who might know about weird artifacts like this?" Max tilts his head. "Who?" "that dame that works at Stinky's diner, down the road!" Max thinks. "You mean girl stinky? What would she know about this thing?" He holds up the broken wand. "I mean have you seen the amount of weird junk littered around that place? I think she might know a thing or two about old artifacts. What do ya say?" Max thinks, then nods. "Alright, I guess it's worth a shot."

While they were walking down the road, a few girls walked by, and started flirting with max. Max told them to beat it, and they ran off crying. "Jeez max, a little harsh, don't you think?" Max huffed. "I am sick of all these girls! I mean it was fun when they fell all over me at first, but now it's just annoying." Sam nods. "I understand, I mean it must be, considering you don't even like girls." Max nodded. "Exactly!"

The doorbell went off as the two walked into the old diner filled with random things the owner claimed were "artifacts." As soon as they walked in, said owner looked over at them. "Welcome to Stinky's, what can I-"

As soon as gs (girl stinky) laid eyes on the now human max, her face turned red and her aqua eyes went large. "Oh my, who are you~?" the waitress said. Max stepped back a bit. "Ehhh..." Sam looked at her. "Um, hey there miss, we need to-" she interrupted him. "shush! I'm talking to this handsome minx..." gs walked her finger across the counter as she stared at max, who looked away awkwardly "You know, this place can offer more than food if you know what I mean~" gs said with a little wink. Max went red, looking at Sam with eyes that said "help. Me." Sam nods. "Excuse us for one second, ma'am!" He said, dragging max off to the side.

"Listen Max, I know you'll hate what I'm about to ask you but..." Sam whispered. Max shakes his head. "No." Sam sighs. "Listen, if you wanna get the relic fixed, you have to-" "no!" max yell-whispered. Sam holds his face. "Max, you just gotta play along and flirt with her a little bit." Max shakes his head. "No! I'd rather just stay human!" Sam looks him in the eyes. "Do you want women to keep falling over you?" Max looks to the side weakly. "N-no.." Sam smiled. "Well then..." Max sighed. "Fine.." Sam pats his shoulder. "Good boy, it's just enough so she'll tell us how to fix the thing." Max nodded.

Taking a deep breath, Max strolls back over to the counter. "Say, did I ever mention that aqua is my favorite color?" He leans one elbow on the counter. Gs blushes and giggles. "No, I don't think you did..." Max swishes his silky hair. "Well it is, it is the most beautiful color. In the world." gs giggles more. "Oh stop it you!" she said, sweeping the air with her hand.
Max smiled. "A pretty gal like you must be really smart too, right?" she nodded. "Oh yes, ask me anything." Max smiled and took the broken wand out of his pocket, setting the pieces on the counter. "How do you fix this?" gs examined the wand. "Where did you find this thing?" "in an ancient temple, on a pedestal." she smiled. "Well to fix it, you'll simply need to put it back where it was and read the incantation on the pedestal. Then it should fix itself!" Max smiled and put the pieces back in his inventory. "Great! Thanks a lot!" gs smiled. "No problem! I am the fountain of all knowledge." she put her hand on her chest proudly.

Max very quickly went back to Sam and filled him in. Sam turned to gs. "Thanks so much! Bye now!" gs smiled. "Come back anytime, we're almost always open~" she blew a kiss to Max as they left.

As soon as they were outside, Max immediately went to puke in the nearest trash can. Max sighed and rubbed his back. "Oh come on max, it wasn't that bad, and we got what we needed, right?" Max wiped his mouth. "Speak for yourself Sam! You didn't have to do the flirting! And besides, she smelled like fish!" Sam laughed. "Like you don't smell 100 times worse." Max looked down. "Good point."