Chapter 5

September was almost over, and (Y/n) was realizing how crazy fast the days were going by in the year. Lucky for her, her grades were doing very good, now that she was paying attention in class, and she actually felt a lot better. She was quickly reaching high placements in her classes, and she was proud of her work this year. Gwen was ecstatic for how she had been doing, helping her along the way with homework and other things that could help her get higher in her classes. She knew she was smart, she just never worked hard to get where she could have been.

Peter was impressed with her work, even if he didn't want to admit it to anyone, even himself. Now, whenever they worked together in science, he found himself pleasantly surprised whenever she did her homework. Of course, Spider-Man had stopped by every few days to catch her in the middle of her work, but she stopped to talk with him.

Peter didn't know why he kept going over to her home as Spider-Man if they didn't even get along when he was Peter. It confused him, but he actually found himself enjoying time with her when she wasn't yelling at him. She always perked up when he came around, and it had only been a few times. Maybe four times since the beginning of the school year. He knew he couldn't ever tell her who he was, not that he wanted to. But, it was hard getting closer to her as Spider-Man only to come to school and have her hate him as Peter Parker.

"Gwen! I got a weekend job as an intern for this big newspaper company!" Peter heard (Y/n) exclaim when she came close to her friend.

"Really? That's amazing! What newspaper?" Gwen asked, and Peter looked across the hall to see her smiling at (Y/n).

"The Daily Bugle." Peter silently scoffed and shook his head at the name of the newspaper company. The head of it, James Jonah Jameson, was always out to find bad coverage on Spider-Man. "I don't agree with what they say about Spider-Man, but if another opportunity comes along, this will be a good starting point."

"Congratulations, (Y/n)! I'm so proud of you!" Gwen said, pulling her into a hug. "Are you gonna tell your parents?"

"Like they'd care." (Y/n) rolled her eyes a little at the mention of her parents, and sighed. "I don't know what to do anymore, Gwen. Even if I was richer than they are they still wouldn't be proud of me. And they honestly aren't that rich compared to a lot of people in this city. Like, a lot."

"Hey, just know that your best friend in the whole world is super proud of everything you've accomplished, and the first quarter isn't even over yet." Gwen pointed out. When Peter saw they were coming his way, he quickly made himself busy with his books. Gwen lowered her voice and said, "And maybe it's time to bury the hatchet with a certain someone?"

"Not on yours, mine, or his life." (Y/n) immediately said, her voice lower as Gwen's. "Why should I?"

"Uh- New school year, new start?" Gwen offered, but (Y/n) shook her head.

"I don't like him, Gwen. Plain and simple as that. No getting past it, no getting over it, and I can't wait for the day when I can leave and not see his face again." (Y/n) said before walking past Gwen to get to her next hour.

Gwen sighed, and looked over to Peter, who had pretended to not be listening. Gwen knew better, and walked over to his side, saying, "You heard everything, didn't you?"

"Just a little." he said with a mischievous smile. Gwen's frown stayed on her face as Peter's smile dropped and he looked away. "She's right, Gwen. We're never gonna get over this little feud between us. Peter Parker and (Y/n) (L/n) were just destined to not like each other, I guess."

"You could say that about Peter Parker, but..." Gwen looked around to make sure no one was listened before leaning closer and saying, "what about Spider-Man?"