1

I hold onto Tony's arm, staring at the building in front of me. It's been so long. It's been too long. The last time I was in this building, it was over 6 years ago. Almost 7. I was so young when I left, only 14. But now, I'm 20. I got out of the hospital 4 months ago. I learned how to walk again 2 months after I was released. I combined myself with the kwamis; I'm never separating from them again.

I choose immortality and some hardships over mortality and being miserable, unprotected.

With my advanced eyesight, I can see through the windows of the bakery. My birth parents, the ones who I loved and they loved me but they treated me like crap, are currently working. They are going to go on there lunch break soon though. It's almost 12:30. They will go upstairs, eat, then come back down at 1:00. That has been their schedule since they opened the bakery.

They never change.

They seem happy, but at the same time not. As if something is missing; me. They still have that light in them, however. Only death would be able to put that out of them.

I take in a deep breath, and am about to go in before I can doubt myself. I was too late. "Nope. I can't do this. They probably won't even recognize me. I'm not even a fraction of the same person I was 6 years ago. I'm cold now, rude. Different. Even though everything in me is telling me to love and trust everyone around me, I can't listen to that... twisted instinct.

" and what if they don't even want to see me? They yell at me the second they do?" My true fear and doubt seep into my voice at the end, and Tony squeezes my arm lightly in reassurance.

"You'll be fine. Besides, I want to meet the people who raised you into an amazing young woman." I look at him and beg with my eyes for reassurance. His eyes give that to me.

"Ok." I finally say, looking forwards towards the bakery again. I look both ways before crossing the street, and look back at Tony. "I'll be in there in a minute." He says, my advanced hearing letting me know that that's what he said. No normal person from this distance would be able to hear that.

I take in a deep breath, and hold it. I open the bakery door and walk in, exhaling. I let the door close behind me, and I look into the small shop that I used to call home.

It hasn't changed a lot, and it smells the exact same as it did before. It still has a welcoming glow to it, and a beautiful display. The warmth and welcoming atmosphere is undeniably amazing, and I can feel the love in the air.

I look at the couple behind the counter, and see them helping the person at the front of the line. There are a few people in here, 10 customers at most, and I decide to get in line behind the guy in front of me. I wait patiently, anxiously. I can feel my heart racing in my chest, and I begin to fiddle with my hair, twisting two long strands together like I always do.

When I step up to the counter, my birth mother stares at me, and she asks, "What can I get for you today?" I look at the woman, and feel like crying. She doesn't recognize me; she doesn't know me.

"Um," I start, having to clear my throat. "I'm sorry." I say, looking at her with love and grief and regret in my eyes. "You did nothing wrong dear, why are you apologizing?"

I take a deep breath, and whisper, "I'm sorry I left, maman. I'm sorry I left you and papa almost 7 years ago. I'm so sorry. But I've come home. And I want to know you guys again. But I am still so sorry."

She takes in a sharp breath, and I look away from the counter, towards the short woman. "Marinette?" She asks, and I nod, tears getting in my eyes. She gasps, and rushes around the counter, calling for my father.

She hugs me tightly, and I hug her back. Tom comes out of the kitchen, and looks at me. He drops the tray of cookies that he was holding, and runs over, giving both of us a hug. "You've come home." He says, his voice thick with emotion. I hear the door open again, and look over to see Tony, happiness and joy radiating off of him.

I pull away from the hug, and smile up at them. "I want you two to meet the man that has taken me in after I left. He has an amazing wife now, and she had a baby a few months ago. My little sister. Morgan." I walk over to Tony, and grab his arm, smiling with how happy I am.

My birth parents come over and hug him, and I hear my first mother whisper in his ear, "Thank you so much for taking care of our daughter." Tom looks like he's trying not to cry, and a memory flashes in my mind.

Me cleaning up spilled glass, my parents passed out on the couch, and bruises crawling up my back from their hands and their belts.

They don't know that they hurt me.

They always were too drunk to remember.

And I always hid it from them.

How much I hate being the "true Guardian" right now. How I wish I didn't want to come back here and see them again, feel the love of my parents and not being able to hate them for what they did to me every time they got drunk. I don't care if they don't know. That doesn't change the fact that they still did it.

We talk during their lunch break, and when it's over I decide that this is becoming too much. "Well, it was amazing seeing you guys again. I promise that I will visit again, but we have a plane to catch." That was the safe word. Plane. Tony begins to nod, and my old parents come around the counter, hugging me.

I pull out of the hug, and as I turn around to leave, the door opens.

There in the doorway stands Adrien Agreste.