Kept Secrets

"Are you absolutely sure this isn't illegal?".

Fog surrounded their bodies from the early morning walk in the forest.

"Okay Nyx, hear me out," they stammered in fear of what their friend may do if they knew the truth "it's kinda illegal, but only if we get caught.".

Nyx grinned at the answer. "Only if we get caught?" There was a small pause in her sentence, before she whisper yelled "ONLY IF WE GET CAUGHT, RICO.. You drag my ass out into the woods at 4 in the morning to help you drag this box to the river."

Rico could tell that she was mad but, it wasn't his fault. He didn't know who else to call who would help him.

"Why would you involve me in this Rico, and why the hell did I agree to help you."

They drew closer to the river with each step they took. The large container dragged across the ground, barely making a sound.

Who knows who could be out here watching them. The two of them were breaking not only the law but the curfew as well.

The curfew was put in place to protect the citizens of the city. Bandits had been coming in and out, unable to be tracked down or caught.

Their visits had slowed down drastically over the past few weeks, nobody knew why. Although Rico did, whatever was in this container held that secret.

"What's in this large hunk of metal anyway?"

"Things, Nyx. Things you don't need to know about."

He was hiding something, what was it? Bodies, weapons, supplies.

We eventually reached the edge of the river bank, container sunk into the damp sand.

"That's all Nyx, you need to go now. The rest doesn't concern you anymore."

"You just ask me to help you do something," I'm confused and tired, "and then just expect me to leave without answers?"

"Yes. I do."

"No this isn't how this works." Now I'm just angry. He always treats me like a doll.

"Nyx, you don't make that decision, you don't have the power nor the right."

He made the mistake of turning his back to me.

I'm the one who had the crowbar, I am the one closer to the container and I am the once who had more strength & courage.

I need to know what's in that box. My emotions had led me to hitting Rico over the head with the crowbar.

Blood drizzled down his neck from the open wound on the back of his head.

I hit the lock on the container until it shattered, unlatching the door. Inside was completely dark but it smelled rotten.

I reached into my pocket for my flashlight and turned it on.

Documents.

No bodies, or weapons or supplies. Looking closer they were locations, coordinates and names.

Riley Thatcher
24.14 ' N  139.52 ' E

Bunny Wixx
45.17 ' N  128.31 ' W

Maggie Katz
27.62 ' S  35.12 ' W

They were the power trio of the bandits, yet their names and faces were crossed out in red marker.

I moved onto the next set of documents, multiple checklists of things our city had lost to the bandits.

Some things were checked off, some weren't. Gold trophies from the horse races everyone gambled on, possessions, people...

I kept walking further and further into the container, the rotten smell only get worse.

Behind boxes were bodies, dead bodies.

The same people that had their names crossed out, including the legendary trio.

Had Rico done this? Or was he working with others?

Footsteps approaching from behind surprises me, a gun then pressed to the back of my head.

"Unfortunately Nyx, you should've minded your business. You could've lived." Rico's voice was deeper than usual, he sounded possessed.

"But now you know my secret."