11. fynn

"He what?!"

Caspian sighed as he changed Dwyn's diaper. "He smashed the protection jar on the ground."

Axar started crying, sensing Catori's anger as she was changing his diaper. She calmed herself, taking Axar into her arms and cooing him. She bounced him gently as she looked to Caspian. "I told you, Caspian. He has been using dark magic around here."

Caspian tightened his lips as he picked up Dwyn and held her against him. "He... He said something—about Al."

"Everyone's been saying something about Al," Catori quipped as she put Axar upright against her chest and patted his back.

The water fae shook his head. "He said he knows something about Al that we don't. He said that... we should be questioning her actions."

Catori's eyebrows threaded as she sifted through Caspian's mind and heard what Mabuz said for herself. "He could be lying."

"Why would he lie? Especially after we saved him from the dungeons."

"He has nothing to lose but himself," Catori answered him quietly. "Dark spirit fae do not play for any side. They simply do what amuses them the most."

Caspian shook his head as he gently set Dwyn down in her crib. "It didn't seem like he was lying, Catori."

"Caspian, I feel like you're just looking for an explanation for Al's madness that seems suitable to your own assumptions," she spat as she sat Axar down in his crib so he wouldn't get too perturbed by their conversation. "You're trying to give yourself a reason for being so hard on her."

"You're the one who keeps insisting that Mabuz is up to something!"

"Which he is," Catori said more calmly. "But how could you trust some accusation he throws at Alastair when we're the ones who know her the best. You're seriously doubting her because of something Mabuz said? You're that distrusting of her?"

"I'm done with this conversation," Caspian muttered before storming out of the room, obviously not able to keep a handle on his emotions.

Catori simply sighed and walked after him, catching him by the arm. "You're staying with the kids today. I'm taking Nyx to see Valerie."

Caspian stopped and looked at her with eyes full of turbulent emotion. He eased softly before turning and taking Catori's hand in his, kissing the back of it softly. "Be safe. I love you."

"I love you too, you brute," she said, pinching his cheek before walking off to meet Nyx at the entrance hall. As she descended the stairs, she was surprised to see Nyx crouched down in the entry hall, petting a little white cat.

Nyx turned and looked at Catori as she entered. "Look at this cat! I found him sitting just outside the door."

Catori kneeled down beside Nyx with a smile, and the cat immediately jumped into Catori's lap and pushed his forehead against her stomach. She giggled and stroked the cat's matted fur. "He's precious."

"He looks like he was jumped," Nyx noted, seeing a spot of blood matted into his white fur right at his neck.

Catori examined the small wound as the cat purred and nudged its head into her hand. "Mabuz's cat must have got after it."

Instinctively, Nyx brought her hand to the wound and healed it without thinking. Catori looked up at her with surprise and smiled softly. "You're supposed to only be doing that when it's necessary."

"It is necessary," Nyx chuckled as the cat pranced over to her and rolled onto his back in front of her knees. She grinned and rubbed its pink stomach. "We should keep him."